Quadrature Encoders Linear Vs Rotary

Hi All,

I'm new to com.robotics, I dabble in electronics and mechanical engineering as a hobby.

Can any of you kind folk explain the postional accurracy of linear strip encoders and rotary code wheels. If one type of strip has 500CPI how does this translate to exact positional reporting in a manually driven system, That is no servos or steppers driving the motion system. I understand that some sensors can multiply the counts per cycle say times (x) 4 to give perhaps 2000 counts per inch.

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Peter.

Reply to
PeterC

Sometimes they are listed as 500 Lines-per-inch. Then using Quadrature, that turns into 2000 Counts-per-inch.

If it says 2000 counts-per-inch, that's probably the maximum resolution you'll get.

But, Heidenhain linear encoders use a sine/cosine encoding, and even with 500 "lines"-per-inch, they can get something like 10,000 measurements- per-inch by measuring how far up the sinewave they are.

So, it depends on everything. Look up the data on the encoder you are considering using.

Reply to
Alan Kilian

Hi,

Speaking of HEIDENHAIN, the URL below has a plethora of technical information on measuring principles, and interpolation for linear and rotary devices.

Regards,

Stoogeweb

stoogeweb