RAW mode of Logitech Quickcam 4000

Hi,
I found this page (http://www.astrosurf.com/astrobond/ebrawe.htm ) about tweaking the EEPROM of the webcam in order to get the RAW image data
from the webcam. These method are used by amateur astronomers. I have been unable to find details about using this method for vision processing purposes.
Since me and a couple of other AI student are participing in a robotic contest in which we will be using the webcam for vision, I would like to to know if using this RAW mode will we helpful for our purpose. We are using a Logitech Quickcam 4000 with the PWC driver (http://www.saillard.org/linux/pwc /) for Linux.
Has anybody any experience with this tweaking? Will the webcam still work with the PWC driver? Will this tweaking effect the maximum framerate?
Thanks in advance, Dimitri
Side question
Why would somebody want to mess with tweaking the EEPROM when one can get directly images from the webcam using either:
http://linux.bytesex.org/xawtv/ (Linux) or http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/ (win32) ? Inquiring mind wants to know :-)
Jake.

AFAIK there is no way to get raw image data off the camera without the tweak. I see nothing to suggest that either of these apps is capable of doing so.
Chris L Peterson Cloudbait Observatory http://www.cloudbait.com
The reason I asked is because, if you take the example of the videocapture software, you can find the following in : http://videocapture.sourceforge.net/html/VideoCapture.html the following method:
"....getBuffer(self) Returns a string containing the raw pixel data.
You probably don't want to use this function, but rather getImage() or saveSnapshot()."
Wouldn't that be a raw image ?
Jake.

It sounds like it. But just because the software provides a function for it doesn't mean that the camera supports the capability. I'm not an expert on the low-level capabilities of the QC4000- I simply assumed that the purpose of the firmware mod to the camera was to allow it to send raw frames (that is, uncompressed and un-de-bayered).
Chris L Peterson Cloudbait Observatory http://www.cloudbait.com

No. Not in the sense of a raw CCD output image.
-- francois meyer http://dulle.free.fr/alidade/galerie.php?maxim
Are we talking about a reduction in the number of bits in the python module solution and not in the EEPROM solution for the pixel data ?
Jake.

Robin