Re: Failure mode of a small PM motor

Sam Goldwasser wrote:

> > > Tim Wescott writes: > > > >>Sam Goldwasser wrote: > >> > >> > >>>Another thing to note but which probably doesn't apply here is that if > >>>some PM motors are disassembled without a "keeper" for the PM magnets, > >>>it will become partially demagnetized. This isn't a problem with the > >>>cheap PM motors you are probably using but may be with high quality > >>>steppers or servo motors. > >>>--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page: > > > >>I know that's an issue with AlNiCo magnets, and I know it's _not_ an > >>issue with Neodymium-Boron-Iron (temperature will kill those suckers, > >>but not demagnetization). Is it a problem with Samarium Cobalt or any > >>other modern high-performance magnet material? > > The motors I'm referring to almost certainly used magnets more high > > tech than AlNiCo but I don't know what it was. There must be some > > info on PM motor maintenance from motor manufacturers on the Web that > > would shed some light on this. > > I was just curious if you knew. > > Certainly a motor manufacturer could tell you this if they encouraged > maintenance on their motors. Many really small motors aren't designed > to be disassembled, however. Even the $150 precision motors from the > Swiss -- Escap and Maxon -- are pressed together and don't come apart > without fatally changing their characteristics.

I'm guessing the motors the original poster was referring to are the $1.50 variety which probably use ceramic ferrite magnets and really don't suffer from this problem.

--- sam | Sci.Electronics.Repair FAQ Home Page:

Repair | Main Table of Contents:

+Lasers | Sam's Laser FAQ:
| Mirror Site Info:

Important: The email address in this message header may no longer work. To contact me, please use the feedback form on the S.E.R FAQ Web sites.

Reply to
Sam Goldwasser

I would go along with that, too. When they first came out, we were astonished how good the retentivity is and for all practical purposes, taking apart, putting back together etc, the field strength was retained.

Reply to
Graham W