Robotics, cars,...

I need help. I have an idea to make automatic gear changing, servo (eletronic) wheels rotating and some more stuff into my car.
Now, I have lots of years experience with programming, computers, physics, mathematics. But I never tried to combine them in robotics area which is the most interesting one.
So, could you tell my how to achieve what I want... your opinions, links, articles, anything that can help. i know that there is lot of work and learning to do, but i'm willing to do it. From where to start, what should i get and so on...
thanks
You could fit a GPS receiver into your car and make it automatically drive by consulting a map.
Some ideas in this area can be found at: http://www.eventhelix.com/ThoughtProjects/WebTaxi /
Deepa -- EventStudio 2.5 - http://www.EventHelix.com/EventStudio Real-time and Embedded System Modeling with Sequence Diagrams
EventHelix.com wrote:

And a widely used system that does it can be found here.
    https://www.comcablondon.co.uk
London cabs have been dispatched that way for years.
                John Nagle
yes, but to drive by own, i need to first make the electronical steering wheel that moves wheels. how? i'm not interested in car driving by it own, but to make everything digitall instead of analog in my old-timer. just don't know from where to start. gps and stuff comes at the end - programming and stuff.

The most recent commercially available hybrid vehicles incorporate elecro-mechanical systems that are now fully tested and selling well! ----------------------------------------------------------------------- Ashley Clarke -------------------------------------------------------

the