Small homemade charge controller

I recently upgraded my recumbent trike to an electric vehicle and want to take advantage of regenerative braking to extend the range of the
batteries. The motor is brushed, so it should act like a generator during coast mode. I was thinking I could just use something like an LM338 voltage regulator adjusted to about 28 volts and have it switch on to provide power to the 24 volt batteries when I turn off the motor. Comments, links to schematics, or suggestions are welcome!
Bart