Standardized distributed robotics

"mlw"

So if I understood right, you want to expand the framework you're using for joystick control to any module right? Something like CORBA or DCOM? IMO, it's a nice concept, but how will you cope with network delays and inherent unrobustness of wireless (or even wired) networks? If you're looking for ideas on how to set up your API, I believe I've heard before someone implemented CORBA for embedded systems and real time. That thing is generic and multiplatform for sure.
Cheers
Padu
Padu wrote:

Well, I've done a lot of service programs. The networking stuff is fairly trivial.
It had not considered network latency all too important as I think it is fairly obvious that time critical stuff be kept in the pseudo-realtime loop. Now that you mention it, however, it may be an interesting problem.
IMHO, CORBA is too big and bulky. I was thinking of something very much smaller and more efficient.
"mlw"

I agree, and I that was the discussion I had with this friend of mine, but according to him, this "embedded CORBA" is really lightweight, and his department at Northrop-Grumman (if I recall correctly) was applying it with success. I don't have any more specific knowledge on this embedded CORBA thing, therefore I cannot support it neither bash it. It is on my list of "things to investigate" though.
Regarding latency, I agree, the near-real-time stuff will be on tight-fast loops probably on microcontrollers, but even for the higher level stuff (usually processed in a PC), the network delay may be unacceptable. For some other things it may be ok.
For example, in one of my prototypes, I had my mini-itx board constantly (every 2 seconds) reading an ini file to setup internal parameters. Because I had wifi on the mini-itx, I was changing the ini over the net with my laptop and it served the purpose of my test (not having to stop the rover, connect monitor and keyboar and then change its parameters), but I wouldn't rely on a wifi link to do any other thing that demands a minimum of time response.
Cheers
Padu