Static Robots

Hi,

I am new to robotics.

here is what I am looking at: The robot I need to build is one that would be latched to a board. So all its movements are within the perimeters of that board. The robot should be able to move North, South, East, West, Up and Down. It would have a arm that can lift and drop fixed size objects. It is not necessary for the bot to visualize the object. Given the position of the piece on the board it should be able to pick the object and over it around. It should be possible to control the robot from a PC.

I was curious to know if it is possible to build a static robot as described above? In case it is possible then where can I get more information to build the same?

-Steven

Reply to
stevenadsouza

Sure it's possible.

Both Lynxmotion

and CrustCrawler
have arms that can be controlled by a PC.

It depends on how large an object you want to move and how far you want to move it.

For information I would check out Gordon's book, _The Robot Builder's Bonanza_.

And good luck!

-- D. Jay Newman

D. Jay Newman

There's also a project by Chris Malinowski, Jay Randolph, and myself:

It's basically a hardware add-on for current sensing, and a control program (not shown on the website) to do exactly what you want. Unfortunately, as of today, the software only lets you control one servo at a time (or move two servos simultaneously, for SG5-UT biceps). It wouldn't be too hard to add XYZ controls (simple geometry), but it may take a while since I'm no longer actively working on the project.

There's also a program from Parallax, called PSCI (Parallax Serial Control Interface) that you can use to control the motors, but it doesn't allow you to move two servos at the same time, therefore its usefulness for arms that use two servos for the biceps (like the SG5-UT) is marginal.

Best regards,

Vitaliy

Reply to
Vitaliy