Stepper driver

Any good stepper drivers out there. I have tried the EasyDriver Stepper Motor
Driver
and have blown two allready.
greg
Reply to
GregS
I'm looking at a R325 from Lin looks hefty.
greg
Reply to
GregS
When used within its design and operating limits (e.g., "Caution: Do not connect or disconnect a motor while the driver is energized. This will cause permanent damage to the A3967 IC.") the board shouldn't be damaged. If you have managed to do so, it would be good feedback to the designer and also to Sparkfun. What did you do and how did it become "blown"?
That information would also help to guide the choice of alternate drivers.
Reply to
Rich Webb
and pricey. Going to try a Pololu.
greg
Reply to
GregS
The first board failed off the start, but I powered it first without motor connection. I used first a 12 volt supply and the board gets real hot set at about 400ma. I switched to a 9 volt supply and added a sink, and it stayed at a good temp. Was going over 150 dgrees at first.
The second seemed to start to act screwy, then I started to adjust the current control down to minimum and a fuse blew at 1/2 amp. Then after replcing fuse the motor started to sing a note and does little.
Am using a very small motor. Using a Galil controller and a $600 motor drive attached to a slider.
I ordered the Pololu board, still an Allegro chip with little heatsinking.
greg
Reply to
GregS
I have used the G201 Gecko drives and never had any problems.

randy
Reply to
Randy Haas
Thanks, I'm looking at them.
greg
Reply to
GregS
The Pololu is working fine. Not hot like the Easydriver, and has not blown yet. It does whistle which is a problem, the motor whistles. A bit touchy to set at 400 ma.
greg
Reply to
GregS