The mythical $5 microcontroller

OMG

Reply to
Hoss

I've used PIC to mean any all-in-one microprocessor (PIC, Stamp, AVR etc).

I've only ever used logic gates and op-amps, which of course don't make a microprocessor.

If I remember correctly, the 8051 is a precursor to a Z80. I've done programming in both Z80 and 6502 assembler and I didn't enjoy it.

I've looked at the $39 board and it looks fairly complex. I think people might be put off by the complexity of such a board. That's why PICs are so popular, one IC and off it goes.

A PIC with free programming languages is mandatory.

I don't know about other hobbyists, but I would rather not be paying for the labour cost of construction and testing. I would want to solder it together myself. But I understand that most people aren't competent to solder up a board as complex as the 8051 boards. I've seen too many people plug something in the wrong way around and then return the product because it "didn't work".

It's difficult to justify that much cost for a single purpose robot like the hexapod. The buyer is paying for complexity (multi-legged) and quality (otherwise it would wear out in a few hours).

Look at the Robo-Sapiens, people were prepared to pay US$100 for them. In many countries they had completely sold out before Christmas. With clever design they have managed to make it walk, pick things up and speak. It can even throw things and turn around. It only uses 4 or 5 motors, for a robot that has up to 15 articulated joints. It even has an interface jack for hacking. It's only a toy though, it can't easily be expanded.

The hexapod is a good technology demonstrator for your company if nothing else.

That's the thing that's put me off buying PIC systems. I don't know which type to buy, or how much I need to buy to get a working system.

I don't know of any $5 microcontroller that doesn't need any more parts to work. That's not to say it won't become available in the future. Adding connectors and plugs drives the price up a lot.

We have the same problems in the computer industry. People look at a computer (just the box) and say they can buy it for $1000. Then they get it home and find they need to buy a monitor, printer, keyboard, mouse, power adaptor, cables, internet access, training, software, maybe more RAM and a DVD burner or TV card. Suddenly it costs $2000.

That's why I tend to buy complete robots. I have no idea which PIC I should put in a robot, what RAM requirements or even which prog language is best. If I select the wrong model, or the wrong brand I'll have to start all over again and I've wasted my money. Secondhand laptops are so cheap nowadays, it's just as easy to add a parallel interface controller and use dos or linux.

Sig: Work saves us from three great evils: boredom, vice and need. -Voltaire, philosopher (1694-1778)

Reply to
Rotes Sapiens

I don't see that at all. At least from my perspective, I think we are creative people and don't like to us other's creations because we would prefer to create it ourselves.

Sure we use economics as an argument i.e. the $5 micro, or "I think I can do better," to defend our position, be in the end was are all just saying "I want to create that."

I can really see cheap as a defense, because we will usually pay more for tools and parts.

Also there is the reproducability issue. If I rely on your part, and mine fails and you go out of business, what am I to do?

Reply to
mlw

Just glue a Bluetooth device ($5) to the centre of the Mobo and the rest revolves around that!

Reply to
Mr Clarke