the "Robotic Mule".........incredible Robotic achievement

This almost alive looking machine is called "Robotic Mule". Pretty incredible achievement to me. It also has the appearance to be a potentially practical robot.

Hansrobo

Really needs a head-The start of any great robotic project is a proper head! Pretty cool though!

Mark

Hansrobo wrote:

Reply to
castvee8

You can see the original version of that video on the Boston Dynamics web site. It's better resolution:

And yeah, it almost looks life-like in how it reacts when it's kicked. Really fun stuff. I'm not too sure the army is going to like a mule that makes so much noise however. :)

Reply to
Curt Welch

Very nice. The old MIT Leg Lab guys are back in business.

John Nagle

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

Reply to
John Nagle

Exactly. I checked this out a few weeks ago, and noted that Marc Raibert is one of the main guys at the company. Raibert build many of the cool walkers at MIT leg lab in the 80s and early 90s.

He literally wrote the book on walking robots, for those interested in kinematics.

"Legged Robots That Balance"

dan michaels

I know; I have two copies of that book.

Raibert had a key insight in the 1980s, that balance was more important than gait. But when he left the Leg Lab to found Boston Dynamics, he couldn't find any way to turn that into a business. Most of the Boston Dynamics software was, for years, purely kinematic. It's good to see he's doing dynamics again.

John Nagle Animats

dan michaels wrote:

Reply to
John Nagle