A-Basin, SPF 2000, heel pain and thank you

Last week I took my first trip to a real mountain,. Arapahoe Basin in Colorado.
I want to thank the people who provided useful information about
traveling with a snowboard. A wheeled bag is definitely the right way to go. It was stuffed with board, bindings, boots and clothes. The bag and contents survived without a scratch.
A-Basin was a challenge, and it was fun. I started boarding last winter and got in about 12 days during February 2003 on local hills. I got out as often as I could this winter and my skills significantly improved, though I can see that I still have a lot that can be learned if my knees will hold out. A change in board also helped.
The fresh snow on Friday morning was fantastic! The view from 12,500' - breathtaking.
Sun Protection Factor (SPF) 2000 - that's probably what my skin needed at A-Basin. What I had was a TiO2 SPF 45 that worked well. Use sunscreen. Lots of sunscreen.
Heel Pain - About mid-February of this year pain started in my back (right) heel. New boots with a more adjustable liner helped, but did not cure the problem. I tried placing a pad over the part on my heel where the pain occurred, but that only made the problem worse. I had not boarded in three weeks before arriving at A-Basin because the local snow was gone. I hoped my heel had healed, but some pain came back. It wasn't as bad as before and I got through a day without a major problem. The next day I tried something different. I placed a pad above the area were the pain occurred rather than on the area. I was surprised and pleased to find that no pain occurred. The pad is about 8 layers of gauze held in place by a large adhesive bandage. Apparently the padding filled the area above my heel, stopping lift and pain. A cheap and simple solution for me.
Dean
What's more amusing than posting to the wrong group?
It's a good thing that I didn't tell the story of the Frenchman, the Goat and the explosives or I would have caused an international situation of mindbending proportions.
Dean :-)