A day in the life of an SRB

NASA just released this video from an aft-facing camera mounted on one of the shuttle SRBs. The video goes from ignition all the way to
splashdown.
http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/etouchsyst2.download.akamai.com/18355/wm.nasa-global/sts-121/right_forward_srb_camera.asx
You can also find it at www.spaceflight.nasa.gov if you don't like clicking strange links :)
Dan
Dan Hyslop wrote:

http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/etouchsyst2.download.akamai.com/18355/wm.nasa-global/sts-121/right_forward_srb_camera.asx
What i liked about this was that as the SRB tumbles after sep, you get several shots of the smoke trail from the ascent off on the horizon. Wish it had sound, although of course there's no justification for it other than to make me happy :)
--
Gordon S. Hlavenka http://www.crashelectronics.com
If your teacher tells you to Question Authority

47 mb
and it is a redirected ASX, so unless you know how, it may be hard to just "download"... it may also depend on your choice of player.
~ Duane Phillips.

That's what I was afraid of. Let's see if I get a response from NASA about obtaining the file. (Ya, right!).
mike
On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 15:01:51 -0600, "Duane Phillips"

They may have something available, and if not, i'm sure someone else will. Remember, NASA produced media is public domain. ;)
Mike Kruger wrote:

Mike Kruger wrote: "Anyone have this file and if so, how big is it."
The file is just over 150mb. I was able to save it to my hard drive with no problems. It's an amazing video to watch start to finish. Being able to go frame by frame during separation is really great.
The black puff of smoke just before splash down was explained by Anthony Cesaroni on the TRA list as:
"Those are shaped explosive charges going off to sever the nozzle in order to reduce impact stress on the case. I guess you don't want these to go off prematurely."
Very cool use of our tax-dollars.
Tony.
Tony,
How did you save it? I can only play it from the website. 150mb isn't too bad, for an over night download.
mike

Mike Kruger wrote:

Mike, I'm on a Mac and have the $30 Quicktime Pro installed. Once a video is downloaded, there is a small popup menu that allows you to save the video. I'm sure there's a way to do it on a Windows machine as well.
Dial-up? Ouch. For a couple of bucks I'll send it to you on a CD.
Tony.
Dan Hyslop wrote:

http://mfile.akamai.com/18566/wmv/etouchsyst2.download.akamai.com/18355/wm.nasa-global/sts-121/right_forward_srb_camera.asx
That's a great video. I really like the shots of the shuttle zooming away as the booster tumbles after separation. Anyone know what the gout of black smoke just before the booster hits the water is? Also, it looked like the splash from the other booster could be seen just as it hit. Do they really land that close together?
Mark E. Hamilton NAR #48641-SR ARSA #418
See the post on this topic here by "waytoomuchstuff".
He wrote this answer, apparently quoting Anthony Cesaroni:
" The black puff of smoke just before splash down was explained by Anthony Cesaroni on the TRA list as:
"Those are shaped explosive charges going off to sever the nozzle in order to reduce impact stress on the case. I guess you don't want these to go off prematurely." "
So from that statement, I would venture to guess that the "other" splash you see is the nozzle from the booster in view, not the splash of the other booster.
Cheers!
~ Duane Phillips.

Hey everybody,
I'm glad you like the video. I just today found the video of the forward-facing SRB camera. Its slightly less exciting, but the view of separation is phenomenal!
They say that NASA gets about a penny out of each tax dollar. I don't care how much of a boondoggle the shuttle/ISS may be, the photos and videos alone make it worthwhile to me every April 15th :)
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/docs/SRb2.asf