A Threat to Our Hobby!

Do you like model rocketry? I do. All it takes is a just few jerks to ruin it. Please see:
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-770370787085311826&ei=XgM-S6SOK5OerALryoTDDQ

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-770370787085311826&ei=XgM-S6SOK5OerALryoTDDQ
Quite unfortunate that they used the engines as a source of black powder but it really wasn't about rocketry. I can foresee something like this making it harder for kids to get the motors. Tom

No law prevents illegal acts. This is clearly a violation of federal, and I would bet their state and local laws. Even Mythbusters has cut open modek rocket engines to get the black powder. It's a darned stupid thing to do, but people (young and old) have been doing it since black powder was invented. I bet even a young George Washington pinched a few ounces of his dad's rifle powder to make crackers.

Why would the Mythbusters need to cut open black powder motors to get black powder? Can't they just buy a can of black powder?
I bought some black powder last year with no issues and nothing special required.
writes:

They try to do the "myth" as it is described. It was probably described that way. Tom

If I remember correctly they were recreating a myth from hundreds of years ago.
They might have been doing it to make the show more interesting for TV.
On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 10:36:22 -0500, "Tom Biasi"

The obscenely high price of model rocket motors already makes it difficult for kids (as well as adults) to get motors. The more likely scenario is that kids buy low cost fireworks and try making rocket motors from them. Of course fireworks are not available in most states, and kids do not always respect laws. So, the scenario could be kids shop lifting model rocket motors and abusing them to make fireworks. Even Andy spoke in "60 minutes" in favor or fireworks, even for kids. Legalizing Fireworks would seem to be a win-win situation, except for a few accidents, and the nuisance of mistaking crackers for drive by shooters, etc.

Three bucks each for a D motor is not that bad, is it? Tom

Estes D12 motors are now $15.29 list price. Plus tax and shipping.

That's list for a 3-pack. The same site (Discount Hobbies) where I found that actually sells them for $10.70 for the 3-pack.

Yes, they're the ones I used to get for $8.99. I stand corrected.
Tom

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-770370787085311826&ei=XgM-S6SOK5OerALryoTDDQ
I will also note that this is not exactly news. The clip was posted 3 years ago, and we haven't seen any (new) restrictions on the purchase of motors in the last 3 years. Make of that what you will.

Yep, these kids got away with it. However, if this continues, some day soon we will open the morning paper and see a scare headline like,
"6 kids killed by model rocket bomb."
Then try to buy a model rocket engine!

there is a "report problem" link on there to use

A VERY GOOD IDEA!