Meyer & Burger/ Astoba UW 1 multi-purpose machine tool

I have made a website about these wonderful machines, AND I have a couple for sale:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanf/pub/astoba/index.html

Hans
--

This is a non-profit organization;
we didn't plan it that way, but it is
Hans van Dongen wrote:

Really nice machines. In the class of the Hommel UWG (hence the "UW"?). But a much better paint job. <G> Anyhow, how much would one of those cost? Not yet counting money ... :-)
Nick
--
***********************************
*** Available now in NZ and AUS ***
Nick Mueller wrote:

Yes, UW means Universal-Werkzeugmaschine (rather than "Werkstttengert").( for non-german speakers: that's universal machine tool vs. workshop device)
I personally think the Meyer & Burger is much more elegant, in that it really _is_ a lathe and a milling machine and all the rest, while the Hommel is more of a spindle with a glorified heavy meccano set. But then again, because of this very nature, the Hommel UWG can probably reach parts other beers simply cannot reach...
Incidently, Astoba apparently once made a licenced copy of the Hommel design (before they made the real thing :-) )

My initial asking price before ebay is 3500 Euros (I'm open to offers) I'm selling these as a pair, because I only have one set of the accessories to go with them.
http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanf/pub/astoba/forsale.html
By the way, I found a couple of videos from another dutch astoba owner (no connection):
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4865030122488431940 "Here I have changed over my refurbished Astoba UW1 to show what it's like to use as a slotting machine, for instance to cut spleens"
http://video.google.nl/videoplay?docid591954648376801345 "Here I am turning an inside fitting on a flywheel housing; the casting could not be machined on a conventional lathe because the diameter is too large. On the tiny Astoba it's simple; because of the adjustable center height turning diameters up to 420 mm (16,5 inches) is possible"
and I've started a topic on the PracticalMachinist forum: http://www.practicalmachinist.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php/topic/6/1905.html
Hans
--

This is a non-profit organization;
we didn't plan it that way, but it is
Hans van Dongen wrote:

Please no more pictures of this gem! If I could afford it, I would spend that money without asking.
Nick
--
*** The lowcost DRO ***

They look interesting machines but do you ever use them? They look too clean! Russell.
snipped-for-privacy@eberhardt.org.uk wrote:

Of course, I cleaned everything up before taking those pictures. I'm only just starting to actually use the Meyer & Burger, which is very near its completion (and I'm still a bit scared to let all those nasty chips near the lovely paint work ; and the disadvantage of getting the slideways ground is that you see _every_ little scratch! - still, I'll get used to it, I suppose)
the 2 Astoba machines on the for sale page: http://www.xs4all.nl/~hanf/pub/astoba/forsale.html aren't all that clean.click on images to enlarge
Hans