aaarg I cant find it, specs for GoFast

Jerky bovine wrote:

Nope, you're still a troll!!
Jerry Irvine ( snipped-for-privacy@gte.net) wrote:

The first CXST motor failed due to mechanical issues with the front closure. The failure had nothing to do with erosive burning.
With minor changes, due to an unrelated design change to the motor, the same erosive burning set-up was used on the second motor as was used on the first. With a redesigned forward closure the second motor worked, put the rocket into space, and the rest is history.
As part of the motor development program a series of propellant characterization and erosive burning characterization tests were performed. The intent of the erosive burning development program was to maintain high performance, but decrease risk for such a large motor.
One result of the characterization tests was a very significant experimental verification of a specific aspect of erosive burning theory, the result of which will be improved erosive burning design criteria for high power and experimental rocket motors.
A tech article is planned for High Power Rocketry on the development of the CXST motor, and on the erosive burning design criteria that were developed during the CXST motor development.
On another note a tech article on the DART aerospike flights has been submitted to High Power Rocketry. You'll be seeing it soon. Enjoy! Lots of photos; the Optimal 168 rocket is a cool rocket even before you add the aerospike.
Chuck Rogers snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CRogers168) wrote:

I hear ya Chuck.
I can put 750# into a 9x144" case. You???
Oh, I also find it ironic the key players of the Powertech team I formed did it.
But that would in no way be the same as taking credit for Ky's acomplishment.
:)

Compared to what?

The magazine of choice for fraudmasters.

Keydesignrules:
1. BIG ASS CORE 2. Finocyl 3. Higher than needed pressure 4. Big ass diameter
What's truly cool is it went into space despite these obvious technical limitations!!

The magazine of choice for fraudmasters.

Yes I know you spend your life catching up to me on elements of rockets. KY and KY alone (well maybe with Jerry Larson too) overcame the last missing piece. Governmental permission. KY is the motivator of the project. It is KY that is the main reason there is a rocket that (barely) went into space.
Korey in second place IMHO.
You have always been a hanger-on doing post facto analysis and calculations. Something which is valuable, but not predictive and not the main reason why a project succeeds.
Especially where the design is so over conservative.
Jerry

And ship it as "Model Aircraft Parts".
<< I can put 750# into a 9x144" case. >>
Show us. Post some pics. Is that too much to ask?

Certainly
Oh well. I won't waste much more time here responding to Jerry.

Build it, photograph it, fire it, videotape the firing. Then, oh by the way, launch it into space. Until then it's vaporware. Carrying around a couple of end closures in your truck doesn't cut it.

The CXST motor core was as small as possible for high propellant loading density, with reasonable risk, because this was a very large motor and there was a limit to how many we could fire.

Higher pressure gives higher specific impulse. Also much lower dispersion. In fact you can't meet the FAA risk requirements by having minimal dispersion without a high thrust, short burn motor. (Which is why a two-stage or hybrid wasn't used.) But then, Jerry didn't know that.

The rocket was minimum diameter, high L/D. It was a very efficient design, it's actually a little on the low side in terms of total impulse for getting into space. Given the high thrust, short burn design profile to minimize dispersion. But then, Jerry didn't know that.

Guess who helped write the FAA requirements? Yours truly. The FAA originally put the Wallops Sounding Rocket Handbook into a Xerox machine and said, "meet these requirements". My inputs had two main impacts; the high-volume regulatory paperwork starts as high as possible; 125K ft. So everyone flying 40K to 80K ft with just a simple FAA waiver; you're welcome! After that point, I successfully lobbied the FAA to minimize the paperwork above 125K ft, and to use a Probability of Casualty method, versus insisting that a wide area be completely clear of personnel.

It was the first amateur, non-professional rocket into space. Proven that it went into space, now that the flight data has been recovered with the payload section. Beat Rutan to space too, I might add! (Of course, nobody onboard!) I think the significance of this accomplishment will grow with time.

I was brought in during the final design of the motor. They were very scared about erosivity. I got a call from Derek Deville out of the blue; "you're an expert on this, we need a second opinion "outside consultant" big time". As Derek said on the phone; "when you're doing a project this big, you check your ego at the door". Derek is really the unsung hero here. If you want to know my contributions and impact on the project, just ask him.
And some excellent research and some very good erosive burning design criteria came out of this. Which will be shared with the high power rocketry/experimental rocketry community, and be documented in a High Power Rocketry tech article.
Oh, and the aerospike project? I helped conceive the whole project, and the overall design of the aerospike, from Day 1. I know how to team up with good team members to bring an idea to fruition. And people know I'm a good member to have on their team.
Chuck Rogers snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CRogers168) wrote:

I openly admit it has not been to space "yet" and you do not have "need to know" on the rest :)
Congrats on your piece of the puzzle on the KyM/JerryL spaceshot.

That is the precise statement I am challenging.

At Black Rock perhaps.

On that point I fully agree.

Well, yes I did. But again I agree with your technical comments but not your personal attacks.

Again I agree and congrats to all :)

It will become "legend", I agree.

The fraudulator?

Again congrats to the whole team.
History has indeed been made. For real.
Jerry
Well Jerry, just a couple corrections.

Jerry, you posted the following:

Implying that the first CXST motor failed from erosive burning. I very nicely corrected you.
Then YOU began the personal attacks. The above post implies that I was in charge, and that I screwed up. Now, when it was clear that I was not the head of the motor development, you changed your personal attacks to "I had no role" and that "I was a strap-hanger".
You can't have it both ways. The only consistent theme seems to be "Jerry doesn't like Chuck".

Well, that is the bottom line, isn't it? You can up the propellant loading to a fair-thee-well, and cato the motor, can't you? That's precisely why I was brought onboard. "Here's your options gentlemen; very conservative [won't make it into space], more aggressive, wee-ooo stand-back aggressive!" "Let's dial it in with the risk level we're comfortable with, but make it into space with margin."
Jerry, I played a small role on a motor that put the first amateur rocket into space. What I didn't do was leave a big smoking hole with a lot of disappointed people. Somehow Jerry, I think you would have made way too aggressive a motor and left a big smoking hole.
Chuck Rogers snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CRogers168) wrote:

Mind reader!
Not :-(

Bi-polar thinking. Option three, model erosiviity and design a core to optimize it (like good ole Jerry).

Cool!
Personal attack.
Jerry
<< You can't have it both ways. The only consistent theme seems to be "Jerry doesn't like Chuck". >>
Ah, but that was just one of many themes in Jerry's post. Here are some of the other themes: 1. Jerry promoting Jerry. 2. Jerry making grandiose claims without proof to back it up. 3. Jerry attempting to siphon off some of the glory of someone else's accomplishment, while simultaneously denigrating persons who actually had a part in that accomplishment.
It's sad, really.

And your post is fixated entirely on Jerry and addresses none of the points in either post.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

jerry is fixated on jerry.
Big Fine wrote:

Chuck replied: <<Build it, photograph it, fire it, videotape the firing. Then, oh by the way, launch it into space. Until then it's vaporware. Carrying around a couple of end closures in your truck doesn't cut it. >>
BINGO!!
Chuck: I think there are other people thinking about space, or at least altitudes greater than 125K. Would it be possible to publish somewhere just what exactly is needed to obtain such a wavier from the FAA? There were many accomplishments with this space shot, the airframe held together, the motor worked, and not to be overlooked the FAA paperwork was in order.
Wedge Oldham http://BlackBrant2.com

originally
"meet
flying
point,
and to

There was an FAA rep onsite as well. That is different from simply filing for a waiver and going it alone.
I agree with your request of course.
Jerry Slime Ball Irvine wrote:

and
Gee, Jerry. When Ky dies, (presuming you out live him, which is doubtfull) are you going to say that he didn't really launch a rocket into space at all?
steve

Steve you have no redeeming value. You are a namecaller, an evil manipulator and love to dance on the grave of firms when they are down.
But we know that already.
Jerry
Jerry Irvine wrote:

An "evil manipulator", What the hell are you taking about?
Many, many people love to dance. Do you have a problem with that?
What "firms" are you referring to? List them.
Who is "we"?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Pot!