Adiabatics

Not only that, but my server has a bad tendency to flat out lose posts, so I might not ever see Bob's post at all. Because of that, I don't have the chance to read his post before seeing Chris's reply.

Reply to
Tim

Again you are either stubborn or delusional.

YOU DO NOT CONTROL THE ORDER OR POSTS AS A POSTER.

YOU DO NOT CONTROL which appear on top and which appear on bottom.

THE READER CONTROLS THIS.

if your using outlook just click the "Subject" header bar to toggle between ascending (bottom to top) or descending (top to bottom)

the READER controls this.

if you really want to get technical it is IMPOSSIBLE for you to top OR bottom post. you can only POST (and off course decide where to place your foot notes or quotes)

the READER decides how the message list is formatted.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

What browser are you using to read newsgroups. I will show you how to fix the problem that is located on YOUR machine.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

it is still ordered chronologically top to bottom by most news readers (EVERY one I have ever used)

I have NO PROBLEM keeping thread integrity as I read these message.

Whenever some "bottom" posts it just makes it more annoying because I have to scroll through all the crap that I have already read.

Is your memory that lacking ?

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

My descriptions are logically correct.

your "ideals" of right and wrong in this matter cloud your logic.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

I probably have about the worst memory available. I forget things so easily (and remember other things so easily) its insane.

yet I have no problem maintaining mental images of the threads I am reading.

why do I never experience this "difficulty" you experience. maybe your browser or your ISP news server just sucks. thats your problem not the rest of usenets.

I think everyone in THIS country will tend to read from top to bottom.

that means they will have already read "prior" message before getting to MY messages. you know top to bottom. older on top newer on bottom.

a good newsreader will also "tier" the message list based on the source reply and order.

So not only are the threads in chronological order but the "internal" threads within threads are also grouped and sorted by chronology.

I know outlook express does this. I also know agent does this. Thunderbird does this. Power News does this. the mac newsreader does this.

Linux newsreaders do this.

The problem is yours. not usenet.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

First thats your problem. Lousy server. Second as a COURTESY to YOU and YOUR problems with YOUR ISP I include a foot note to be nice to you.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

ANU News - V6.2.0

Bob Kaplow

You did not retain the name of the person you are replying to. This has happened in several posts. Please comply with usenet guidelines voluntarily.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Looking in a mirror again?

I snipped the inane crap about you trying to force another to not force you :_)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Chris, you're confused about what people are calling "top" and "bottom" posting. It has NOTHING to do with the way messages appear in the reader's LIST; it's a description of where the new text is placed, by the WRITER, relative to the quoted context, IN A GIVEN MESSAGE.

For example, in this message I'm "top posting" - I am putting the new text on top. I'm doing this just for a comparison point - if you look at most of the messages I post, I usually format them the other way.

You have to assume that the message you are writing is the only one showing on the reader. For example, suppose I just opened a given newsgroup on my reader and yours is the only new mesage since I last looked in the group - then I will not see the previous message you responded to in the message list anywhere in the displayed list, since I already read it the last time I looked in the group.

-dave w

Chris Taylor Jr wrote:

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Not just my problem, but a problem with the majority of news services. You seem to think I have control over my news server and it's my fault that it doesn't always work properly.

Reply to
Tim

I do not want too.

I am interested more in the content and less in the name attached to the one making the comment.

I got that when I originally read their comment.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

You do. buy a better one or stop complaing about people not posting in annoying ways to make YOUR life with your lousy server.

AGAIN its analogous to you getting up set at an author for not having a synopsis on EVERY single page so that you can start anywhere in the book and be "caught up" without having to read the prior pages.

If your book is MISSING some pages do you blame the author because someone ripped them out ?

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Yes, Jerry, (whose name Chris also decided to delete), you forgot that rmr was setup up solely for the amusement and entertainment of Chris Taylor, and that no one else but him sees these posts.

Hmm... Given the number of killfiles Chris is in, maybe he's right...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Go here

ftp://kuhub.cc.ukans.edu/

Grab me the manual and decompress it (no programs I have will decompress it)

I will read it and tell you how to change yoru message sorting order.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Below

I am not confused. you people are applying terms and rules from two different areas to one area.

Top to bottom deals with the content as a whole. top to bottom deals with MESSAGE AND REPLY

NOT Message and Quotes.

A matter of choice. One I find annoying and incorrect but it is your choice.

That is an assumption you make and an incorrect one. if you make THAT assumption then snipping is bad unless you are the ONLY reply to the thread.

if the thread is more than a few message long YOUR idea based on your above observation would MANDATE posts MANY MANY KB in size as the thread got longer and longer.

I am replying to one specific message. in that reply I am only interested in the PERSON I POSTED IT TO reading it. everyone else reading it is not my concern.

Example. in this message I am replying to YOU. you CAN NOT AND WILL NOT LOGICALLY tell me you need your content since YOU WROTE IT.

I leave old content in place to make life easier for others that may want to read this. but they should have read YOUR message first. if they can not or will not I am sorry but that is not my problem and everyone else should not have to be punished because of this.

This reply was complicated enough and addressing enough variety of points in your post that it became a brand new "message set" all its own. hence the interleaved posting. neither top nor bottom posting.

Chris Taylor

Chris Taylor Jr

Chris, you don't get to decide what words mean. Top and Bottom posting refers to quoting messages, and has nothing to do at all with posting order or sorting of posts. Sorry if that's what you want it to mean, but it doesn't. It's perfectly obvious from reading any of dozens of USENET etiquette guides.

Repeating your erroneous notion over and over doesn't really change anything.

Brett

Reply to
Brett Buck

There's plenty more...

Reply to
Tim

You must have forgot to read the previous posts. It is others who are arguing/discussing top and bottom posting.

I never complained about it. I just made a statement that some ISP's can't be depended on (including mine) to keep every post so that the thread can be followed. It was just an addendum to B. Kaplow's post about post propigation.

I don't get upset on anything that goes on in r.m.r. I often go for weeks reading it just because I have better things to do.

Nope. I would blame Amazon.com for selling me a damaged book, which is akin to blaming the ISP for not having a solid Usenet feed. :)

Reply to
Tim