Ammonium Nitrate comedy

The BATFE has announced that the persons they were looking for are in fact legitimate.

This entire incident was comedic.

I first heard of it when a local TV news broadcast had a story on it. While the talking head was talking, they ran some footage (dug out of the back room I suppose) that showed clearly marked bags of ANFO with nice 1.5 explosives labels. Thus leaving the naive watcher to think that what was being discussed was an explosive rather than fertilizer/oxidizer.

To make it even better, this person tried to buy between 500 and 1,000 metric tonnes of AN. That is a LOT of fertilizer. 1 metric tonne is 2,200 pounds for the metricly challenged so that translates to between 1.1 million and 2.2 million pounds of AN.

Quite a large purchase for even a very ambitious terrorist don't you think?

The original AP story is at:

I read in today's paper that Oklahoma (where you can't buy Sudafed without the third degree) will probably require that you provide identification and sign for your purchase of that 50 pound bag of ammonium nitrate.

David Schultz

They should regulate politicians and burrocrats in the same manner. They are all full of ammonium nitrate.

Bob Kaplow