Memphis Bell pilot gone

Col. Bob Morgan, pilot of "Memphis Bell", the first B-17 to complete

25 missions in the ETO during WW II, has passed away.

Received the following via the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum mailing list :

"Farewell, Colonel Bob Morgan

He was so much to so many, yet he always said he was just doing his job. To all who had the honor to meet him, to hear his story, or to be fortunate enough to be his friend, he was and always will be a hero.

Col. Morgan passed away last night from complications following his surgery. Please visit

(the dash belongs there) for details, and to support Bob's wife, Linda in this sad time. There are obituaries at:

Bob Morgan was among the first veterans to join us at the Mid Atlantic Air Museum's World War II Weekend, and his support was a large factor in the success and growth of the show. He was a true friend and will be greatly missed."

Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Thanks Fred, for letting us know. Another bit of history goes by.

Doug Dorton

They were/are the greatest generation, sadly they are leaving us every day.

Tom

Reply to
Tom Johnson

If they were indeed the greatest generation (and my own parents are part of that generation)! Then it might be said that no future generation will equal them. Which leaves us little to look forward to for the future of the US.

I for one believe the greatest generation is yet to come! And that each successive generation will in its own way be greater than the one before. Otherwise one can only surmise that the decline of western civilization as we know it has already begun!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

There is no question in my mind that they were a very special generation. Very few generations have been asked to do so much and give of their lives so freely and long may it remain so. I also believe that they will not be the last generation to have to do so, but their inspiration and experiences have set the standard.

Condolences from a shared experience from this side of the pond.

David.

David Wolper

There is no question in my mind that they were a very special generation. Very few generations have been asked to do so much, giving of their lives so freely; long may it remain so. I also believe that they will not be the last generation to have to do so, but their inspiration and actions have, I hope ensured that it will be a long time before another is asked to do so.

Condolences from a shared experience from this side of the pond.

David.

David Wolper

Reply to
jim breeyear
60 Years and ONE day after he flew his last mission.
Sadly, we are losing the greatest generation. Cherish them while you can. My father was badly wounded aboard the USS Essex, he died in 1953. Bill

Bill

If I were pessimistic, I'd have quit a very long time ago! Besides, even though the words were mine, the concept came from an Army three star.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

After bringing Belle home and doing a bit of war bond stints, Col. Morgan flew the B-29 "Dauntless Dotty" to lead the first B-29 raid on Tokyo, and went on to complete a full tour of 25 missions in B-29s.

A hero in anyone's book, methinks. Cheers, Fred McClellan The House Of Balsa Dust home.mindspring.com/~the-plumber

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Hi Fred,

I did not know that. Thanks for that tidbit, nice to learn something new every day.

Steve

Reply to
Steve Morley