Terrorists and Leups

"Several al-Qaida leaders believe operatives can pay their way into the country through Mexico, and also believe illegal entry is more advantageous than legal entry for operational security reasons," James Loy, deputy secretary at the time, said in his testimony. ...

[commentary] If the BATFE management had half a brain among them, they would realize that anyone who wanted to use APCP for nefarious purposes would do so without getting a LEUP for exactly the same reasons. So who do they expect to stop/catch with their time and resource-wasting "paperwork"?

Reply to
bit eimer

Citizen gotcha to justify their budget.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

With you on that one Jerry. Those who want to do something illegal won't ask first. Those who are trying to do something for perfectly legal and constitutional ("Persuit of happiness") reasons are the only people who would apply for a LEUP. Which begs the question: Why is it so much g*dang effort to get a LEUP?

Reply to
Benjamin Chapman

The only advantage of not having a paperwork trail is to mak eit harder to catch you after the fact. Since we're now dealing with suicide bombers, after the fact paper trails don't really matter to them. The 9/11 terrorists didn't exactly cover their trails, nor had they done anything illegal as of

9/10. All they'd do is get a license, buy the stuff legally, and then some dark day use it. And no current or proposed BATFE regs will stop that.

Remember Oklahoma City? The first day or two, the reports were they were looking at "Arab terrorists". Turned out to be a good ole boy military veteran pissed off at his own government for killing US citizens. Again someone who hadn't done anything illegal until then.

Perhaps the best strategy is for the government to stop trampling US citizens rights, so they dont' create any more "angry and won't take any more" folks. One or two are terrorists. A bunch become revolutionaries, and heros of the new government, just as Washington, Hamilton, Revere, et al are to ours.

Bob Kaplow

I repeat.

Citizen gotcha to justify their budget.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Bingo!

BTW, I saw another article recently that said several of the 9/11 hijackers had legally purchased guns here. Naturally, the politicians' response was "we need to tighten gun restrictions!" The correct response is, "We need to stop letting these people into the country!"

raydunakin

Sorry, this administration has far less than half a brain...

"The President also proposes to ignore the statutory cap on fees for commercial explosive licenses and permits thereby allowing ATF to impose a

10-fold increase on the cost of obtaining these credentials. The justification for this substantial increase is that it ?will discourage certain individuals from taking advantage of the minor fee currently being charged to gain access to explosives for criminal or terrorist activity.?

From -

I don't know where they get this idea of ignoring the statutory cap as there is an item in the budget that removes the cap.

bit eimer wrote: > "Several al-Qaida leaders believe operatives can pay their way into the > country through Mexico, and also believe illegal entry is more advantageous > than legal entry for operational security reasons," James Loy, deputy > secretary at the time, said in his testimony. ... >

Reply to
David Schultz

The hearts and votes of politicians?

Reply to
Ken Sparks

Have you tried. How about those living in major metro cities. How many LEUPs with storage do you think there are in the city of Chicago or NYC or LA? Not everyone lives at Black Rock or Cedar City.

Bob Kaplow

perfectly

Reply to
Benjamin Chapman

The recent hubbub was over people that have names matching names on the FBI's terrorist watch list. The list is so secret you don't know you are on it, why you are on it, or how to get off. But when the FBI did the required background check with the extra check against the watch list, because the person passed the background check, they were OK'd to purchase a gun.

There is much hand wringing over how these law abiding individuals were permitted to purchase a gun. Much noise about how this must change. So if someone at the FBI (or wherever) gets a wild hair and puts your name on the watch list without a trial or any other judicial proceeding, they want to prevent you from buying a gun. Because you might be a bad person.

Quick now, what prominent persons have turned up on the watch list?

Senator Edward Kennedy for one. At least he had the clout to be able to call Tom Ridge to get it cleared up.

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote: > BTW, I saw another article recently that said several of the 9/11 > hijackers had legally purchased guns here. Naturally, the politicians' > response was "we need to tighten gun restrictions!" The correct > response is, "We need to stop letting these people into the country!" >

Reply to
David Schultz

I am reluctantly beginning to believe that a "New American Revolution" will be necessary, and in my lifetime. And that it will be unsucessful, extremely bloody, or both.

I'll say fof the nth time that what we've done to ourselves post 9/11 is far worse than what th terrorists did. We would literally have been better off saying, "Is THAT the best you can do?" and moving on.

And saying that, I'm sure I'm on a few more government "lists".

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

That's a good thing; who want's that alleged sloppy drunk driver to have a gun?? (:-)

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

The ATF will grant storage exemptions for attached garages. You first have to get it approved by your local Fire Department or Public Safety Department.

Reply to
Alex Mericas

'alleged'?

All of a sudden I have the urge to dig up my old Dead Kennedys vinyl :)

Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Reply to
the notorious t-e-d

From the aforementioned article.......

"the ATF needs to do a better job of explaining why, of all the industires it regulates, commercial explosives is singled out for this fee increase. Commercial explosives are not the preferred weapon of criminals or terrorists. Criminial use of explosives results in 5 or 6 deaths per years. Other products regulated by ATF hav killed thousands annually."

Helloooooo.....is anyone home? Obviously not, lights are on and nobody's home at the ATF. Such a misguided group, such a misguided tax. Those folks are just not living in the real world, they've been in government tooooo long.....it's time for a change. Maybe a science agency could take over their work. At least someone with the education would understand the substances they are dealing with.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Please let me join you.

You can be SURE I am already on some series of lists.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

27 CFR 555.141-a-8
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Which FAILED.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Ridge was governor here before he was lynched as security whatever. He was a joke of a governor and it was obvious it was not what he knew but who he knew. He was a lunkerhead. We should not be too annoyed that the security of the country would be screwed up under him. When he was governor we were happy to see him put one foot in front of another so we didn't have to pay more medical bills. Only in America could he find work for more than two decisions. He would be canned in any other country after his first mistake.

Most things fail under Ridge, including Ridge.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy