Re: Hobbyists=terrorists

Can't play most .ram through our firewall. Is this converted to a wav or mp3 so we can hear it?

-Fred Shecter

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Here is a short piece that aired yesterday on the DC all-news radio > station WTOP. They quote me briefly from an interview I gave about > three weeks ago. Somehow I got my name changed to Greg Pratt in the > intervening time, but what the hey. > >
Fred Shecter

"shockwaveriderz" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@comcast.com:

You forgot the most convenient material of all -- matchheads, available dirt cheap in vast quantities at any supermarket.

And fighting the proposed BP exemption for model rocketry is ludicrous given the 50 lb. "antique firearms" exemption that already exists.

Look, this isn't about effectively fighting terrorism, it's about appearing to fight terrorism, and "supporting the administration".

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

and has been used and may be used in the construction

acetone? what about this? what about that? what makes

substances that anybody including TERRORISTS can get

need be and I don't see Saltpeter,Sulfur or charcoal on

Mister Riderz, I have to say it again; It's the Rockets...

They are simply attempting to ground large rockets by regulating the fuels. It is easy for them to equate rocket fuel, explosives, and the Unabomber in their INTENTIONALLY emotional and non-scientific appeal. This is a very minor issue to Congress in the big scheme of things, but it has emotional and media appeal: rockets, rocket fuel, terrorism. They will be on this like white on rice to show their "concern" for the safety of all Americans.

All they have to do is make a relative connection, absolutes are meaningless at this point in their game. The first tactic, as we've just seen, will be linking rockets to terrorism in the minds of their constituents and making rocketeers the "bad guys". I've said that before. Next will come some preposterous examples for reinforcement, then a couple real-life busts of some idiots doing something stupid. They will use exceptions to the norm to "prove" their points and instead of punishing the guilty, will punish the innocent by association. Emotion will constitute 90% of their program and they will NOT let themselves get backed into a corner if reason or logic become involved. You will see logic flaws and scientific errors purposely promoted simply for their emotional impact on the masses. We are now playing the game on their field and our rules no longer apply.

It'll get worse, believe me. I've been down this road with Chucky-boy before.

Some paranoia was spread around the 24th of May concerning Agents and Launches when the BATFE regs were scheduled to go into effect. I am not Crying Wolf, nor advocating paranoia, but I would caution all rocketeers to be especially mindful of their actions in the near future. ANY perceived irregularities will be used by these guys as examples of why we need further regulation.

Reply to
Gary

Oh, God I wanna freakin puke

Jerry O

Reply to
Jerry O'Sullivan

Can it be that the general public has an irration fear of rockets and missiles? I can't tell; I'm an aviation buff and I've been flying models rockets since I was eight.

I remember the flight 800 nonsense, where loonies wre crawling out of the woodwoks saying it must have been shot down with a missile; and weren't there similar claims for some other air disasters?

If so, perhaps the politicos are representing the common man. Or, their own intelligence is equally common - perhaps Homer Simpson-like, in Lautenbergs case.

Reply to
Scott Schuckert

As a gun enthusiast, I welcome you rocket enthusiasts to our world. Some observations. Government's malicious interest in you is not going to go away, and it's not going to remain static. It's going to get worse, a lot worse.

Also, don't make the mistake that many in the gun fraternity made of thinking that if you just give them what they want now, that they'll be satisfied and will let you keep the rest. They won't. They will not be satisfied until everything you do is totally illegal.

Fight them now, or give up model rocketry.

-- WSG "principio obstate"

Reply to
WSG

Scott Schuckert wrote in news:300720031958417575% snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net:

You have to take into account the fact that virtually all of what people "know" about rocketry is based on Hollywood special effects (where the laws of physics and engineering reality are routinely violated) and news reports about space program accidents (i.e., explosions) and the military use of rockets as weapons (more explosions). So it's "obvious" that a bunch of terrorists could "stockpile" "explosive rocket propellant" to make a dangerous weapon that would explode like the Challenger and hit a target just as well as state of the art laser guided munitions do.

len.

Reply to
Leonard Fehskens

FWIW, there are a number of very capable and experienced people that have major heartburn with the NTSB's FL800 crash scenario and investigation. As someone who has done experiments for the Air Force with igniting Jet-A fuel sprays, my experience is consistent with Commander Donaldson's assessment that a fuel vapor explosion in the center wing tank of FL800 was NOT the cause of the crash. If that were true we would have experienced a large number of these types of explosions and crashes with the 747. In Cdr. Donaldson's experience, the type of damage observed on FL800 was consistent with a missile strike.

There is no doubt that FL800 has generated considerable noise from conspiracy buffs and wackos, but in my opinion there really are ALOT of questionable things about this investigation.

Brad Hitch

Reply to
Brad Hitch

Sounds like its time for a public "Animal Works" demo in front of the seante building. a 50# box of BP. Kaboom! A 5 gallon gas can. Kaboom. A metal lunchbox full of matcheads. Kaboom! Various other common unregulated material. Kaboom! A 50# pile of .9# APCP grains, not even on motor casings. Hey, nothing happened.

Bob Kaplow

I would hardly consider AMW (Robinson) either experienced enough, or expert enough, or political enough, to pull it off safely, effectively, or with proper PR.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine