Apollo: The Race Against Time

This is an email that was forwarded to me, originally from John Pursley. Looks like he's been working on restoring the REAL JSC Saturn-V. You might
want to watch for this show tonight.
== "Apollo: The Race Against Time" will be airing on the History Channel Saturday at 7:00pm and 11:00pm and on Sunday morning (?) at 8:00 a.m. about 25% of the show is devoted to the JSC Saturn. You might want to pass the word around to folks you know who might be interested in that kind of thing.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to see it because I will be traveling (ironically) on business that has to do with the Saturn...and the hotel I will be staying at doesn't have the History Channel.
They had a major accident out at JSC today (Thursday) with the rocket. They were moving the Service Module (about 11,000 lbs) and it broke loose from the crane and fell to the ground. Though it only fell about 4 feet, the damage is major. Fortunately, even though it was assigned to me for restoration work, I wasn't supposed to start working on it until Monday and I had nothing to do with the move and I wasn't onsite when it happened (in fact, they were in the process of moving it to a work stand in my work area). Well, it looks like I will have time to work on other parts of the rocket while NASA and the Smithsonian perform their investigation (which could take weeks).
JP
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Cool -- thanks, Bob!
--
Reply to K3TD via arrl dot net

Tad, K3TD
Thanks for the heads up, Bob. Will be sure to tune in.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Yikes! That sucks.
I caught the show, and it was well worth watching. It features the interviews with Gene Kranz, Buzz Aldrin, and Eugene Cernan. Personally, I found it quite informative and entertaining. It's quite remarkable to think that a behemoth such as the Saturn V could endure punishment of launching into space, but that father time and Mother nature could wreak such havoc upon it. Particularly fascinating, however, was how they dwell upon the fact that these machines were designed and built by HAND, not with the benefit of computer aided engineering and other such technology that is so prevalent in today's space program.
bob352 wrote:

Mother Nature and Father Time raise mountain ranges and then grind them to dust. A Saturn V doesn't stand a chance against them.
Mario

I was struck by the hand work too, but that may be because we're used to items that are mass produced. Designing a custom robot to weld fenders on 150,000 Chevys doesn't scale down to building 15 disposable moon rockets.
For a fun exercise, someone should figure out how much design time went into the B-2 bomber. With production cut to only 21 planes, I'll bet it's more hours than the entire fleet will ever spend in the air...

The B-2 is a national treasure. It is hard to believe that they would ever put such a treasure in harms way.

Huh? It's a firggin bomber.
Phil Stein wrote:

Phil,
Did you even GO to school?
Or are you still in grade school?
Gus wrote:

I have to agree with Phil on this one. The B2 is a workhorse, the B2 is a bomber, the B2 is part of our national defense, it was designed that way. The 5-8 remaining B-17s are national treasures (mostly because our govnernment only saw them as scrap) Fifi is a national treasure......the B2s have a job to do. We'll get sentimental when they are retired for the B-8. Of course the CAF will have a really tough time keeping one B2 in the air if/when they are ever awarded one, for scrap prices.
Chuck

Appaently not by your standards.
So when a bomber is used to attack another country, it is in harms way. WOuldn't you expect another country that is being attacked by a B2 to try to fight back? You said they shouldn't be put in harms way. Gravity combined with the earth's surface will break one. Maybe they shouldn't even be flown. Who's a bone head?
Phil Stein wrote:

You are, bonehead.
You can't even spell THAT correctly, let alone "firggin". Let alone "appaently".
If you want your views taken seriously, learn how to express them correctly, you firggin moron.
Gus
Gus

Spelling mistakes are forgivable... :-)
And you still have to explain your stance - why you consider the B-2 "Stealth Bomber" a national treasure...
Len Lekx wrote:

At the cost of a single B-2 (something like several billion) I can almost understand it.....but its a plane, a current production plane. We can make more, honest.
-Aaron

So it's NOT all about Jerry?
This should REALLY be in the FAQ!
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

They were going through withdrawals.
Phil Stein wrote:

Hey, when I was in the Air Force, I was assigned to Air Defense Command. We were the guys who put the harm in the way of Russian bombers.
Bill Sulllivan
"Initiating the 'getting-the-hell-out-of-here' maneuver."
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 16:20:27 -0400, Phil Stein

It is a strategic bomber, to replace the aging B-52's, etc. They cost about $2B each (probably a LOT more in todays dollars), hence the "national treasure". The B2 is not invulnerable, and it's intended use puts it at risk of loss.

A "National treasure" and being very expensive aren't the same thing.