Astroblaster and Stratoblaster Electric?

I've searched for info on this but didn't find what I was looking for. Can someone help me find out about using electric power for these Estes RGs?

TIA

Joe P.

Reply to
PanaVista

The Astro Blaster has been flown on Speed 400 type motors successfully, but I can't point you to an article. [So why am I answering? Good question.]

Actually, just to say that I built an Astro Blaster in '93 with an OS .15 in pusher configuration with a Zinger 7-4 pusher prop, and I modified the muffler so I could point it rearwards without it intersecting the prop (always a good idea). The rear of the wing center section was cut out to fit a 2oz Sullivan tank, and I shortened the rear of the fuselage so that the firewall was pretty much flush to the trailing edge of the wing. A little extra glass cloth at the wing root took care of the missing chunk.

Flew like snot, unlimited vertical and looked really cool in flight too. The wing loading was pretty high and with that skinny airfoil it was a bit hot on landings. Hand launches were a bit hair raising as it needed full bore to get up to speed quickly enough, so it would torque roll on release, plus the fact that hand launching pushers is always a treat. Lucky for me I had someone else launch it, and he never had a prop strike to the hand, but still wore a leather glove in case.

Alas, I later took the motor off and flew it as slope soarer, and it eventually dorked it into the side of a hill in a moment of stupidity.

A Hacker B20-15L or the like in the tail plus a 3 cell LiPoly would electrify one of these quite well I would think. Or one of the smallish outrunners, which would fit to the AB firewall quite easily, or be an easy retrofit to the SB. Plus you can launch them motor off.. a nice bonus of electric. Although holding the SB by the booms for launch would mitigate that problem.

Mike Dennett CTI

Reply to
Mike Dennett