B29 model plus rocket powered X-1

I know this may be off topic since it does not contain any political/religious material nor does it bitch, carp, complain, pontificate
or in any way, shape or form, try to bemean, belittle or otherwise destroy another person, but it is about models in general and more specifically, rocket powered models. Enjoy :)
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/51245/mac_hodges_b_29 /
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
How about an F14? http://www.speedguide.net/~brian/F14.wmv
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
A tad grim but here's a real B-52 crash
http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/936131~007eb95b9e4da692bf6069e65ce7fc5a/B52_bomber_2-1.wmv
--
Reece Talley wrote:

http://www.dslreports.com/r0/download/936131~007eb95b9e4da692bf6069e65ce7fc5a/B52_bomber_2-1.wmv
That one had me VERY curious, as my dad was a Nav for BUFFs at Fairchild many years ago, and that footage is obviously old.
Based on some searching, it looks like it occurred in 1994, well after we had left there.
-Kevin
Kevin Trojanowski wrote:

I cannot view it.....but if it's the one of a B-52 making a 90 degree banked turn and knifing into the earth, it was highlighted on a disaster show I saw recently. IF that's the one, the pilot was considered a cowboy though he did the Air Force B-52 demonstration at air shows, was practicing and had been waived off on his first approach. He made a short circuit around the airbase and went waaaaaaay too steep in his turn on final. Took a crew of 3 with him.......damn shame.
If that's not the clip, tell me to shut the piehole. ;-)
Chuck
Chuck Rudy wrote:

I'll be a dope and reply to my own message but here's a site with all the vids...... http://alexisparkinn.com/aviation_videos.htm#Videos the RC B-52 is one there and the crash I was speaking of......a who's who of disaster aviation.
Chuck
Chuck Rudy wrote:

They did a thing on this on 60 minutes. Something about the co-pilot having reservations about the pilot but flew with him anyways. Didn't want anyone else to get killed.
Anyone remember the segment to confirm?
Kurt Savegnago
On a different note, there was an article back in MAC Flyer, a USAF publication, back in the 70s that detailed how a C141 jockey got himself into a pucker factor 10+ situation. Seems said airman got his 141 nose first into the jetstream. He then proceeded to throttle back until he was standing still relative to the ground 35,000 feet below. Not satisfied with that, he reduced throttle even further and began flying backward. The trouble came as he slipped out of the main part of the airmass and promptly stalled. The acft fell uncontrolled for over 25,000 feet before regaining control. Said pilot finished his career flying a D.O.D./US Govt. model 16273 desk, gray with typing station.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

Those rags were good reading. TAC Attack in the mid 1970s had an article on animal strikes at altitude. The snake at 18,000 feet was the one I remember. There was a similar article about parachutists falling through the rotor plane of a helicopter after jumping from a C-130. At that time TAC had tactical airlift squadrons in case anyone was wondering about the link between TAC and C-130.
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Oh yes I members. They also were in charge of the Special Ops A/C for a time before they became a seperate entity. Oh the Mighty Talon tre top level at night " flying chickens in the barnyard"

nitram578 wrote:

I was in 55 ARRS doing special ops and laughing at 1 SOW whine when MAC bought 'em out. It was even funnier when TAC bought out 1 SOW when the whine became "TAC doesn't understand big airplanes." Ah yes, the good old days when 1 SOW's pave lows were second hand from 55 ARRS :)
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
"Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired" wrote:

62nd TAS, TAC Sewart AFB TN., March 1966 - April 1968, C130E Crew chief 50th TAS, (Red Devils) PACAF, CCK AB Taiwan, May 1968 - August 1969, C130E Crew Chief
Fred, CMSGT USAF, Retired
W. E. Fred Wallace wrote:

I was at Langley Airplane Patch when the closed the three TAS squadrons there. If memory serves their last designation was 316 MAW.
Chief, by the time I retired in 1994 the chiefs couldn't hold a candle to you old guys. Too much book learning and face time.
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
I once saw a film clip many long years ago of a B-47 doing a Loop the Loop, it was scary watching it and seeing the wings flex under power. I had forgotten about seeing that clip until reading these messages.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
Starlord wrote:

Are you sure it was a loop? The B-47 originally used a toss mode for nuclear weapons delivery. In the usual toss mode the B-47 would fly directly towards the target, at a specified point it would pull up and release the bomb at roughly 40 - 50 then continue pulling up until inverted then roll upright and depart the area.
As for flex the KC-135 has about 14 feet of flex measured at the wing tip if memory serves. I once saw a show where they tested a wing (777?) to destruction. If memory serves the wingtip flexed 24 feet before breaking. Next time you fly commercial get a window seat where you can watch the wing. You'll see flex in "smooth" air. If they buit a rigid wing you'd have a bumpier ride and a heavier aircraft.
Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
I saw the clip ( newsreel on TV ) back in the 50's and yes it was a full loop. It started with the bomber only about 200ft above the ground.

Telescope Buyers FAQ
That was the clip and that was the pilot. His co-pilot's family was in the crowd that day, a wife and a young kid. It was sad, really sad.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

Yep, it's a sad day any time they lose an aircrew, and even moreso because the family had to watch it happen.
-Kevin