California Gestapo

On our way to the launch us 3 very white dudes were stopped for questioning. Do you own this 1-800-RVRENTALs vehicle? No,... we rented it. Are you US citizens? No, but we're hoping to get some CA drivers licenses. Where are you heading? (CA? DUH!) PlasterCity for a rocket launch. [blank stare]. The tall skinny dude in the back notices 3 agents staring in the back window at the 17' tall tomahawk fincan. Where are you coming from? A quick look at the map indicated Arizona was the only state this freeway ran from. I'm just glad they didn't ask our favorite color.

Ok, so we get to the launch and while watching the flights, this SUV comes driving across the flight line and all the leads to the launchers. I didn't make out the department from the sign on the door, but all I could think of was what an ass. Are all these guys like that?

Oh, and while taking the trash out later, I spotted some kids pushing dad's gas powered 'tank cart' (for hauling nitrous bottles to the far pads). They were pushing because the 'agent' said it didn't have a atv sticker. Let me describe this cart to you. Perforated angle iron frame bolted together, vertical all thread steering column. Fixed all thread rear axel and 5 hp B&S. Pneumatic hand-truck wheels. Just because the kids were driving it, it's an ATV. So I asked if he had a spare riding mower housing, but I'm guessing you guys have to license those too.

Joel. phx Glad to be back in the land of the free....

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Which agency were these guys from? CHP or some local sheriffs dept?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

OMG....sheesh shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

They should change California to : Land of the Lawyers..

JD

questioning.

Reply to
JDcluster

The general populace already agrees so no name change needed :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You know, it's 99% of the lawyers, that give all the others a bad name.

Randy

Reply to
Randy

Point!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Any grounds for this, or was it an illegal stop?

Bob Kaplow

At the entrance to both states there is a 'fruits and vegetables' checkpoint, kinda like a tollbooth. I would have asked Ken to blow through it, but the rental RV was barely holding it's as was. It's like those DUI checkpoints.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Did you know that half of the people make up 50% of the population?

Reply to
Steve Decker

Oh, _those_ - they're actually pretty harmless... but stay out of Newark, CA (near Fremont, a little ways north of San Jose on the I-880) if you can - the local cops will hassle you for the silliest shit: riding a ratty-looking motorcycle is grounds for being pulled over, and they tend to view "looking nervous about being red-lighted for no apparent reason" as Probable Cause for accusations of being "Intoxicated with Amphetamine".

(Gotta keep the pristine industrial parks of the town from being blighted by the presence of Speed-Crazed Lowlife Bikers, I guess...)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

"Joel Corwith" wrote in news:YWnhb.438$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

The "fruits and nuts" checkpoint had been annexed by the border patrol, and they were checking for illegal aliens riding in conspicuous RVs loaded with rocket gear.

Ken

Reply to
Ken Sparks

It's always been a peek to see if you're sneaking people across. Now the one up I-5 on the coast is pretty blatant. I'm surprised we could get 200 illegals into that tiny garage area of the RV.

rocket launch,... what a cover...

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

The "fruits and veggies checkpoint" is the one going INTO the PRK, while the "fruits and nuts checkpoint" is the one coming OUT. Unfortunately, the latter isn't that effective, 'cause we still get plenty of Californians moving to Phoenix.

Reply to
bit eimer

"Joel Corwith" wrote in news:fwzhb.7$ snipped-for-privacy@news.uswest.net:

Well, they were leprechauns ....

Reply to
Ken Sparks

SO the answer is illegal?

Bob Kaplow

Yep, just like the ones on I-5 and I-15 going north out of SD county, or the one on I-8 going west into San Diego. All operated by INS/Border Patrol, and not one of them is on the US border. Why the Supreme Court allows this blatant violation of the Constitution is beyond me.

Ya wanna stop people coming into the country, fine. Put up walls, moats, gun towers, whatever at the border. But randomly stopping and searching people within the country is wrong.

Reply to
RayDunakin

Yes, the one on I-5 ticks me off something royal. To go between the Camp Pendleton area (Oceanside) and the southern Orange County area (San Juan Capistrano for those of you who don't know much about California), you must (often/usually) get stuck in a 4-lane wide complete stoppage on a major freeway. When you have to travel this area on a regular basis, it's a significant loss of time. I wouldn't mind it so much if there was actual ENFORCEMENT of illegal immigration, but since this seems to be the ONLY thing that is done (within the state) for immigration enforcement, it seems pretty pointless.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White