Centuri Hummingbird

Going back 31 years, the Centuri Hummingbird was my favorite rocket.
For those interested in that particular rocket, I have just finished
posting patterns, and copies of the directions suitable for building a
decent clone. Go to

The Hummingbird lives again!
Reply to
Randy Baker
That's a very cool looking boost glider! Thanks for posting the plans and instructions.
Reply to
RayDunakin
I remember the Centuri Hummingbird as the worst B/G ever kitted. Even the NARAM veterans had trouble working their magic on it. The stated kit weight was completely bogus.
Alan
Reply to
Alan Jones
I expected such a negative response from someone. As an 11-year old kid, I was able to get mine to work well using 1/2A6-2's. I spent hours launching it over and over. On a windless day it would boost about 50 feet and turn lazy circles gliding back. Any type of aircraft is worthless if not balanced and trimmed properly, and the smaller the airframe, the more sensitive it is. The hummingbird is definitely small and touchy, but it's not garbage.
Reply to
Randy Baker
I think the real problem (and I haven't seen many of them fly well, just like Alan, and I feel pretty comfortable with my trimming skills) was the fiber construction. Absurdly heavy for the size, very weak and flexible and "plastic", and therefore very inconsistent. I had a few of them, and I got one to work reasonably well for a while, but it wasn't much. Mine all got WAY higher than 50 feet, at least when they went straight - the ejection charge gives it more poop than that!
However, I did make a few of them with balsa, and they were just fine. I might do another one for the LUNAR launch next weekend.
They weren't the worst BG kit ever, by a long shot. The RDC "Feather" wins that one hands down - elevons glued in glide position, and about 30 degrees of downthrust to "compensate".
I thought I had remembered this, but check out the last page of the instructions for the Hummingbird. This is the only kit I know of that tells you that if it doesn't work, it's your own fault! Frequently true, but I wonder why they felt it necessary...
Brett
Reply to
Brett Buck
Now you're getting the hang of RMR.
;-)
Reply to
Kurt Kesler
Kick ass! I've always loved the Hummingbird. Kinda a fast glide but still fun to fly.
Ted Novak TRA#5512
Randy Baker wrote:
Reply to
nedtovak
Never saw one of those. I do have the old catalog somewhere, and will have to "look it up".
Bt worst GLIDE from a glider kit, based on typical construction: extes Tomcat hands (nose) down!
Bob Kaplow
Well, delta wing with large elevons at a 30 degree angle or so, and the engine up in the nose with 30 degrees of downthrust - I don't think you have to be Wilbur Wright and/or Kelly Johnson to figure out what's going to happen!
Brett
Reply to
Brett Buck
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) wrote in message
One of the coolest glides I ever saw was a Tomcat at the NSL in Muncie several years ago. I don't know what the owner did to get it to fly like that, but it looked awesome--all the way to the landing on the access road that rekitted it completely :0P.
Scott McCrate NAR71680
Reply to
Scott McCrate
When they work (which is rare) they deliver AWESOME flights.
Scott McCrate wrote:
Reply to
Alex Mericas
Agreed, one flyer in our club brought his to two launches. The first launch he made three flights, two were ugly and the third was absolutely beautiful. At the next launch everyone was watching for another beautiful flight, but it pranged. He still doesn't know what he did to make it work......once.
John
Reply to
John Stein