Detachable fins

I'm attempting to build a scale R-7 Vostok and I've been trying to think up a way to possibly rig up fins that could be detached for static display and re-attached for flight, but of course they would need to be strong enough to not fall off and to assist in the stability. Anyone have any ideas because I'm completely stumped and don't even know if this would be possible. Thanks for any help.

Randy D Co-Prez, SoJARS

Reply to
NeoF14

Plug-in tubes that slide into the base of each booster (for ex., into a nozzle), with 1 fin attached to each tube? (Similar to the way the Estes Mercury Atlas does it).

But, why? You should be able to fly a Vostok without needing fins anyway, it's been done many times. Check with someone who's flown a Cosmodrome or Peter Alway version to see where the CG should be.

Reply to
BB

I built a 1/144 PMC Voxtok, but I added the upper stages to move the CG forward. I did not need much for additional stability so I let the A10-3t hang out the back a half inch and slipped on a ring if BT-5 with four small fins attached.

Alan

Reply to
Alan Jones