Dipping igniter's

I'm finally going to start dipping my own igniters. Just makes sense to me. I already have my pryogen. Any hint's or suggestions. It would be great if
we could stay on topic.
Just a few random thoughts...
If you're going to make a few, just as well make a couple hundred while you're at it... The last batch I did took about 3 leisurely hours and produced about 300 of the rascals -- They essentially lasted for three years. Hmmm....
While your at it, make them for the various motor sizes not only you'll fly but the sizes your friends will fly (nothing is slicker than helping out a buddy or a newbie/guest with a homemade ignitor)
Nice music in the background is good--Reluctant to suggest watching the tube while dipping...
Measure the resistance of each ignitor and group them in piles of similar resistance -- You'll need some layout space but this will give you feedback on your fab techniques. I'll bundle and package resistance sorted ignitors just in case I come across a cluster application. This is laborious, yes...
You'll get some "out lyers" from your resistance measurement sorting. Go ahead and fire them off with a 9v battery. This will get you some confidence on what's a good ignitor. It'll also give you some confidence on how good a 9V battery is. It'll also give you a sense on your processes.
Have something to store them in when your done. I don't like the long skinny tubes as the ignitor gets damaged in these over time. A wooden cigar box serves well. Jim Turner use to individually plastic wrap and cardboard sleeve his FITH products. Wow...
Leave most of them home and lug around just what you think you may need. I ended up simply tossing alot of ignitors that I lost confidence in from simple handling damage over the years.
L8r, Andy
Andy,
What do you use for lead wire?
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

For the smallest stuff (MR as small as the old B7), wire wrap wire. Take 2 different colors, and using a cordless drill twist them together. 100' spools are available at any good electronics shop.
For bigger stuff (most 29-38mm), scrap phone wire, which may already be pre-twisted, but usually needs more twist. Do NOT use the plenum (teflon) stuff! I've yet to find a source for the tiny zip wire that AT uses for their smaller First Fire ignitors. Any one got a source?
For even bigger nozzles (38mm+), bell wire in zip cord form. The garage door opener wire is the same stuff. Hardware stores have 30-50' spools.
Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect every one who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined. -- Patrick Henry, speech of June 5 1788
Hi Bob:
26 ga two-conductor wire listed as FW26D:
http://www.fireworkswire.com/prodinfo.html
Looks awfully similar to AT wire. It's been a while but last time I bought a 500' spool, it was around $12. I think. Am unsure whether they still sell single spools.... but give 'em a call to find out.
Regards -- Terry

Just called them - $15.75/500ft or $29.95/1000ft
Shipping on single spool $12-18.
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
How much do you want of the shooter's wire?
Do you want a box of cat 5?
Make some noise on the sss list instead...

Hmmmm, well I see *someone* is certainly tracking who is associated with which club. <grin>
Anyway, fairly ironic since I *have* a box of cat 5 sitting around from prewiring my house 11 years ago. I just never thought about it being the right stuff! So I checked - yes, indeed, 4 twisted pairs of 24 gauge solid - how convenient.
Thanks for providing a clue for the otherwise clueless. :^)
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

Just make sure it's not teflon coated, pyrogen doesn't like to stay stuck. If I can make the May club meeting at challenger, I'll bring my pad(s) and spare wire and finally get to say hi.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com writes:

Thanks Prfesser! They list the 26ga wire as .072", which is what I just measured the smaller AT stuff to be. That's the width of the zip cord, not the conductor!
I also found a good wire reference which not only lists the wire diameter sizes, but includes the formula for converting the AWG to diameter!
D(AWG)=.00592((36-AWG)/39)
26 AWG comes out to 0.0159, which is what I measured for the AT wire conductor. So I think we have a match!
"I tell you, freedom and human rights in America are doomed. The U.S. government will lead the American people in and the West in general into an unbearable hell and a choking life."
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.TRABoD (Bob Kaplow) writes:

That should read D(AWG)=.00592^((36-AWG)/39)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/American_wire_gauge
I'm not afraid of terrorists. I am terrorized by airport security. _george

This should be in the FAQ.

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Be sure you save your scientific calculator to do the calculation.:) Not very easy to do by hand. Pick up a solar TI-36 calculator that does tons more than the SR-51 I used in college '74-78 for $18.50. The TI SR-51 went for close to $300.00 back then
Kurt Savegnago
(Bob Kaplow) writes:

Well, my HP45 cost $400 ('74, I think), and I still have it. Neener, neener, neener! :^D
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"

I no longer have the HP-21. Good calc.
Jerry
bit eimer wrote:

Lucky Stiff,
The nicads on the 51 are gorked and not replaceable. Nice calculator for the time. You were an expert in reverse Polish notation I see. :)
Kurt
(Bob Kaplow) writes:

My nicads are also toast and I've never (yet) tried to replace them. Just have to run off the adapter.
IMHO, RPN is *still* the only way real men compute! <grin>
--
...The Bit Eimer NAR 84054 L1
"My goal in life is to be the kind of person my cat thinks he is"
(Bob Kaplow) writes:

The nicads on both should be replacable. You may have to crack the case to get at them if they're not part of a pack that pops out. If they've died and you are running off of a charger, you should remove the batteries because they will eventually leak. This brings back memories for me too; I worked at the Abilene TI plant back in the early 80's - calculators, Speak-and-Spell, TI99/4A stuff. BTW, I've got two TI59s with print cradles ans related stuff going up on ebay tonight.
Bob Kaplow wrote:

Have you checked out Bob Fortune's Aerocon? I scored some of Bob's zip wire and near as I can tell it *is* the AT stuff. Haven't been able to compare it with the smaller firstfire only because I don't have any of the smaller firstfires.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
I believe that all three (firefox, aerocon, and AT) are exactly the same.
-- David