El Mirage report

El Mirage is open and the lake bed is dry. New doings with the BLM however. For groups over 25, there is now an $80.00 permit fee and one must show insurance. Thought I'd pass that along. My group launch is still set for Monday the 30th of May. All are welcome.

Reply to
Reece Talley

What does BLM want you to insure against? I've never been there but from what I've heard there isn't anything there worth insuring except the property of the other rocket people. - Just wondering.

Reply to
Phil Stein

The scary part about that is it used to be $50 and 50 people.

So in the most recent iteration alone it became BOTH twice as restrictive and 60% more money.

Being a federal agency, more to come is ALWAYS expected.

I wonder which RFP we missed on that one?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I'd bet that this AM it's a wet area as the high desert is catching major rain cells moving threw.

Reply to
Starlord

jerry can't afford $30 dollars.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

The insurance is incase someone gets hurt. It protects the BLM from law suits.

Reply to
Reece Talley

I'd be willing to bet you're right too. I live up Bouquet Canyon in Saugus and we caught you heck of a downpour last night. For the record, the BLM has not written the fee in stone yet and they were very apologetic about the whole affair. Something about needing more confirmation from DC. They weren't even too sure if I really would have to pay it but I was told to be ready just in case. My group will number about 150 people and maybe about 30 cars.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Ya, we got hit hard, but it was fast, during that night it came down in buckets, but last night and today is clear. We got at lest 3 cells that moved over us, but you guys had the rain fright train coming at you.

I've not been up to there, can't go far in my old car yet.

Reply to
Starlord