Documentary

I am not sure if I'm supposed to laugh, or cringe, at this:

Tyler Durden

ROTFLMAO!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Three Thumbs up!!! - Amos and Andy

Reply to
lunarlos

I think not !

Their is a book about the 13th, a woman. Sorry Luna

What meat are you beating ?

Reply to
Almax

I'm waiting.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Say, mister know-it-all, when did the Mercury program end? This date is after the Apollo-1 fire, putting it after the Mercury and Gemini programs. WHich clearly makes him NOT a mercury astronaut as you initially claimed.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

off

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

READ Mr. Irvine ... like the felony court papers you hold ... read what I posted.

I want to buy 200lbs of Rocket motors ... please just place them in a plain brown box and stencle on the side: Encylopedias

Shhh I won't tell!

LOL ... you UNcitizen!

Jerry Irv> >

Reply to
lunarlos

OMG I just watched the NASSA film documentary for the 10th time and it gets funnier every time! That shot of "Whites Only" stencled inside the door of that Gemini capsule, and the blackstonaut being fired unfire into the tree and exploding! OMFG this thing is hallarious!

The Klan leading Glenn up the gantry ... I salute the makers of this film! Very "Blazing Saddles"esq , and just as funny!

Now where did I place my monthy donation to the NAACP or make that the NASSA?! LOL ... you have to view this NASSA documentary!

Reply to
lunarlos

The information about Robert Lawrence appears to be correct.

I can not find any supporting information for Edward Dwight that doesn't look like it came from a 14 year old.

Any other information would have to be verified.

-Aaron

Reply to
Aaron

Sigh ... look old man, do us all a favor and have your stroke tomorrow instead of maybe ten - fifteen years from now :)

If you READ, I mean READ what I typed, I listed 2, two, duo, Ni, dates. One for 1967 showing the first OFFICIAL black recruited into the astronaut corps. The second date, 1962 is for the FIRST unofficial black astronaut that Kennedy FORCED NASA to start training. By the way, he trained seperate from the white astronauts ... guess that video hits close to home :(

God Damm Bobby, get off your high horse and open your mind between that usual scowl you have firmly cemented in your face all the time.

Now take a deep breath ... ok ... click back to my posting. Read it word for word, and notice that I did EXPLICITYLY post the dates and situations ... my God man, and now you see why I HATE you NAR know-it-alls. I mean I have had my work orbiting this world, and I have to bring myself down to your level everytime I have to explain something ... sheesh and now you know WHY you don't need to know my identity ... hell, I could be parked right along side of you at the next club launch :)

Lunar "Why won't they listen?!" Bob

P.s. Looking forward to the Christmas party this year!

Bob Kaplow wrote:

Reply to
lunarlos

From the book "Fallen Astronauts", by Colin Burgess (considered the definitive work on many of the 'forgotten astronauts'):

"One truly controversial member of Class IV was Captain Edward Dwight, who had entered the air force in 1953, eventually logging more than two thousand hours in jet fighters while also carrying out a two-year tour as a B-57 pilot. Dwight, who had a degree in aeronautical engineering, found himself the focus of much unwanted media attention when he joined the aerospace school. He was African American, and there was extreme pressure on the ARPS to qualify him as an astronaut. It was tantamount to an order, and in came directly from General Curtis LeMay, the air force chief of staff. He was responding in turn to a demand from Attorney General Bobby Knnedy to qualify a black officer as an astronaut, whatever it took, so the administration could assert there was no discrimination in the air force or in the nation's space agency."

"Dwight had originally been part of a reserve list to join Class IV, but the orders from above saw his name included in the list of fifteen. This only served to outrage the head of the ARPS, Chuck Yeager, who checked out Dwight and rated him as "an average pilot with an average academic background. He wasn't a bad pilot, but he wasn't exceptionally talented either. Flying with a good bunch in a squadron, he would probably get by. But he just couldn't compete in the space course aganst the best crop of experienced military test pilots." Dwight eventually graduated, but Yeager had made sure his name was placed at the very bottom of the list of graduates, knowing full well that NASA would only ever consider the top eight in each class for the civilian space program."

My interpretation of all the above -- Dwight was one of the early 'victims' of affirmative action. He would probably have survived the selection process of today's NASA, but he was 'forced' on the program as a 'token' black, not as someone who had actually earned the position solely on merit (or frankly, the 'first Black' in many positions has had to prove themselves far BETTER than their contemporaries, in order to break the color barrier, particularly during the Civil Rights movement). Because of that, he didn't make it.

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

You're blowing (partial) smoke.

You indicated that he was an 8th Mercury astronaut. Dwight was in Class IV selection, which was long after Mercury astronauts were chosen. The last Mercury FLIGHT was in 1963 -- you want us to believe they were still selecting Mercury astronauts in 1962??? Sorry, doesn't wash...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Racist.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I guess I am curious what you drink.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

You, sir, are as offensive as your language. Please go away and never offend this forum with your presence again...

If you were overheard using that language at a launch, you would be asked to leave. NAR _OR_ TRA, it doesn't matter. Your racist attitude and offensive language are obsolete. Please return to the obscurity from whence you came...

Don't bother responding to me... You just made the filter...

James

Reply to
James L. Marino

That was parody at it's high point. I loved the crap out of this. As a history teacher I have to watch hours of smarmy violin-laced melodramatic drivel and listen to countless numbers of "intellectuals" drone on in self-important monologues. This was like a breath of fresh air.

Reply to
Reece Talley

Why James, I didn't realize you control my freedom of speech! I guess there is a little NAZI in all of us!

So when did NAR get into the civil rights and 1st ammendment battle? And how is my attitude RACIST? I used WORDS in a certain CONTEXT, and that automatically makes me a racist ... OMG ... you voted for Hillary didn't you? Or you would of if you had the chance?

This kneejerk reponce is why we CAN'T have meaningful dialogue when it comes to race in this country. White men are really AFFRAID to speak about the condition of our society because we are affraid to recieve the lable of biggot.

James, if you put down the Red Bull, have a smoke, and go back and READ what I posted, and comprehend, you will see that my posting was very PRO black, and not a racial slander against blacks. On the other hand, you a free to interpret it anyway you desire ... just don't put words/meaning into my mouth ... thanks!

Marino ... isn't Marino spanish? Did you hear the one about the Spanish Drunk, the Rabbi and the Pope? Oh, better not go there less I be labled a racist once again!

Lunar "Can't Jump" Bob

Reply to
lunarlos