ematches?

Hi,
As can be seen by my prior post, am trying to explore dual-deployment options. For the past two weeks have been doing searches on low current
ematches to deploy the system with 4Fg powder. My impression is that most of the low current ematches like Daveyfire have all but dried up. Alternatively, I found some other sources but they require an LEUP. I did find a quickburst.net that does have low current ematches for sale with a powder cup. Are there any other alternatives out there? Am getting the stuff together to experiment with the Christmas tree bulb igniters but I am just going to be doing just that. Experiment. Given my luck with the regular engine igniters, (lousy at first then 100% after I got advice from here:)) I would do extensive ground testing before even considering using that modality in a rocket. Especially for first time use! Last two launches I went to, I didn't get the chance to query some of the modelers about ematches but I did talk to an individual who claims he gets J and K motors without an LEUP. The modeler I suspect is level II rated and has a mail order source that is willing to sell. Interesting in that I see web advertising of onsite vendors who refuse to sell similiar sized engines for even onsite usage unless one has the $100.00 a year LEUP. Sucks, doesn't it?
Kurt Savegnago
Kurt,
you will find at launches, if motor dealers are present, you can get oxral ematches to use and even J and K motors if you were level II without LEUP.
it's an on site thing under thheir supervision.
I doubt your friend has a mail order source sending him 54mm motors with out leup.
go to launches and see whats sold on site.
on-line, well that's a different story.
support your on-site vendor so you can fly what you need and wish without the hassle.
save online for Ipods ;-)

Jerry via USPS?
On Wed, 25 May 2005 19:52:26 -0400, Phil Stein

And of course the box would contain 'Model Airplane Parts.'
Phil Stein wrote:

And the tubes of model glue would be empty.
Don't count on it. Oxral matches are also drying up as they are no longer being supplied to the NA market. Daveyfire has closed its doors, and Lunatech can no longer get Oxrals, both due to litigation from fireworks accidents causing the overseas manufacturers to withdraw from the NA fireworks market which is the market for which they were imported.

I just talked to Marsha at Lunatech.
Oxral is a brand name owned by Lunatech. Several manufacturers have made Oxrals over the years for Luatech. They have a new Australian manufacturer they are currently testing.
Disney is the biggest consumer of Oxral ematches. Disney is testing the several version of the new Oxrals this week. Lunatech will start importing Oxrals as soon as Disney gives the go ahead for which version they want.
It sounds like it will take several months for any Oxrals to actually be available again. Lunatech only sells to ATF permit holders and the shipping and handling fees would be $40 or so.
Brian Elfert
Good show. Last I spoke to them (maybe two weeks ago??) they had not yet found another viable source. So this is progress of a sort. The updated version of my comment below should read "Lunatach can no longer get Oxral matches from Austin Detonator".
Mike D.
writes:

Kurt wrote:

$100 for the first _three_ years! $50 for each three years thereafter.
Note that these are the current fees. There is a provision in the 2006 federal budget as sent down from the Bush administration that would completely remove the current statutory limits on fees. (Currently $200 initial/$100 renewal)
--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /

David Schultz wrote:

Thanks for the correction. Money talks. I suspect that if a modeler spends a pile of money at a place, they may look the other way as long as proper certification is presented.
Kurt Savegnago
Daveyfires and Oxrals have pretty much dried up. Ask around at the launch and see what other people are using, and if they know were you can get some. I lucked out and managed to score enough Oxrals from a buddy of mine to keep me supplied for the rest of this season. I don't know what I would have done for ematches otherwise.

Yep, bigtime.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
XAVIEN wrote:

There are several vendors selling M-tek (sp?) ematches at a reasonable price.
I know another vendor making their own ematches, but they cost like $1.75 each in quantity. They also sell Oxral to the fireworks industry for like 75 cents each in quantity 200. They won't have Oxrals until at least August due to a design change that Disney has requested.
I would give you the vendor name if I could remember it. Someone mentioned the vendor on ROL.
Brian Elfert
Brian Elfert wrote:

I got some M-teks mail order from where I can't remember. I didn't know they were low current.
Kurt Savegnago

Don't know about that. Performance hobbies and Quickburst are selling these. (Gotta call Quickburst to order.) I would think they wouldn't sell them if they didn't work.
Brian Elfert

Does Aerotech by Ellis ring a bell?

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Why, do they sell M-tek matches?

I picked up a bunch from Performance Hobbies over the weekend. They worked fine with my low-current altimeters.
And the heads fit perfectly into the charge-well of my CD3 deployment system... unlike Daveys or Oxrals, which need to have the plastic cap cut to pieces. :-)