ematches?

Hi,

As can be seen by my prior post, am trying to explore dual-deployment options. For the past two weeks have been doing searches on low current ematches to deploy the system with 4Fg powder. My impression is that most of the low current ematches like Daveyfire have all but dried up. Alternatively, I found some other sources but they require an LEUP. I did find a quickburst.net that does have low current ematches for sale with a powder cup. Are there any other alternatives out there? Am getting the stuff together to experiment with the Christmas tree bulb igniters but I am just going to be doing just that. Experiment. Given my luck with the regular engine igniters, (lousy at first then 100% after I got advice from here:)) I would do extensive ground testing before even considering using that modality in a rocket. Especially for first time use! Last two launches I went to, I didn't get the chance to query some of the modelers about ematches but I did talk to an individual who claims he gets J and K motors without an LEUP. The modeler I suspect is level II rated and has a mail order source that is willing to sell. Interesting in that I see web advertising of onsite vendors who refuse to sell similiar sized engines for even onsite usage unless one has the $100.00 a year LEUP. Sucks, doesn't it?

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Kurt,

you will find at launches, if motor dealers are present, you can get oxral ematches to use and even J and K motors if you were level II without LEUP.

it's an on site thing under thheir supervision.

I doubt your friend has a mail order source sending him 54mm motors with out leup.

go to launches and see whats sold on site.

on-line, well that's a different story.

support your on-site vendor so you can fly what you need and wish without the hassle.

save online for Ipods ;-)

Reply to
AlMax

Jerry via USPS?

Reply to
Phil Stein

And of course the box would contain 'Model Airplane Parts.'

Reply to
Phil Stein

And the tubes of model glue would be empty.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

$100 for the first _three_ years! $50 for each three years thereafter.

Note that these are the current fees. There is a provision in the 2006 federal budget as sent down from the Bush administration that would completely remove the current statutory limits on fees. (Currently $200 initial/$100 renewal)

Reply to
David Schultz

another "strangle" point for the BATFE...

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Daveyfires and Oxrals have pretty much dried up. Ask around at the launch and see what other people are using, and if they know were you can get some. I lucked out and managed to score enough Oxrals from a buddy of mine to keep me supplied for the rest of this season. I don't know what I would have done for ematches otherwise.

Reply to
J.A. Michel

The Quickburst "HOTSHOTs" and "POPPERS" are great. I highly recommend them, solid product. If you want to play with the christmas bulb idea, Perfectflite has a neat little kit for a few bucks you might want to consider getting.

Best regards, Steve

Reply to
XAVIEN

There are several vendors selling M-tek (sp?) ematches at a reasonable price.

I know another vendor making their own ematches, but they cost like $1.75 each in quantity. They also sell Oxral to the fireworks industry for like

75 cents each in quantity 200. They won't have Oxrals until at least August due to a design change that Disney has requested.

I would give you the vendor name if I could remember it. Someone mentioned the vendor on ROL.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

FireFox

sells davey clone match heads. You supply lead wire and a pyrogen dip. I have had great results using their

1/32" double sided copper clad board and Copell wire to make my own match heads. Look here
for an excellent tutorial to make match head/chip type igniters.
Reply to
Mark Daughtry, SR

I tried that, using their "low current" non-conductive primer and pyrogen. They don't work. The tiny bridgewire burns off without producing enough heat to ignite the primer.

raydunakin

Reply to
Kurt

That is what I am trying to avoid.

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Thanks for the correction. Money talks. I suspect that if a modeler spends a pile of money at a place, they may look the other way as long as proper certification is presented.

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

I got some M-teks mail order from where I can't remember. I didn't know they were low current.

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

Will check this out.

Kurt Savegnago

Reply to
Kurt

It will be well worth your while if you have a do-it-yourself type of personality like me ;-). I tried regular nichrome (From McMaser-Carr) on regular 1/6" double sided board (from Rat Shack). No matter what folks say, even with the ruby whatever flux, nichrome is a bitch to solder (with whatever lead free solder). The Cople from FireFox is great stuff because it has a copper/chromium mixture rather than a steel/chromium mixture and solders rather easily. I have had GREAT results using this (And I don't shout in caps very often).

BTW, I never had much of a gripe with copperheads, I just wanted to experiment with other types of igniters that I could make on my own which led to conductive bridgewire dips and eventually to "chip/davey" type igniter heads.

Reply to
Mark Daughtry, SR

Don't know about that. Performance hobbies and Quickburst are selling these. (Gotta call Quickburst to order.) I would think they wouldn't sell them if they didn't work.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Does Aerotech by Ellis ring a bell?