Estes E Engine Motor Mount Question

Hello, i'm currently building a 24 mm cluster fatboy..i've ordered all the parts and the motor mount tubes were ordered from fliskits...i was wondering how high up the tube (from the bottom) should i put the engine block? I'm asking couse i've never built an estes E engine kit. Also i've read that the Executioner comes with a D12 adapter does anyone know where i can get this...or even make it?

Thanks,

-Vishal

Reply to
Vishal

E engines are 3.75" long, so push the engine block about 3.25-3.5" so the engine will hang out a bit. A D/E adapter is nothing more than a 1" section of thick coupler stock or a spent D or E motor.

Dave

Reply to
dave1472

Do i need a different length of engine hook ? I ordered the regular estes engine hooks from fliskits...

Reply to
Vishal

If you can't get one the right length you can bend the back end up.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Yes, you need a longer engine hook. Look here:

and scroll down the page, or you can order the Estes D-E engine mount kit from your local dealer which comes with two of them (but pretty expensive for what you get).

David Erbas-White

Vishal wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

I assume you mean a 3x24 cluster? Forget the motor blocks, and use a single

6-32 screw for motor retention. Get a 1" long 6-32 screw, cut the head off, and epoxy it in the middle of your 3 motor tubes with about 1/4" to 1/2" of the threads sticking outside of the motortubes. For flight, wrap the nozzle end of each motor with 2-3 wraps of masking tape about 3/16" wide,(you can cut down wider tape to 3/16") install the motors, and chinch down the nut. Using this method, it's easy to fly either D-12's or E-9's without hassling with spacers.

-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L2

J.A. Michel

I bend the forward tab, which normally sticks into the MMT and causes this problem, 180 degrees with pliers. If it breaks off, I just bend another 1/8" or so 90 degrees "outwards". Wrap the hook to the MMT with a half-inch or so sleeve of split tube just aft of the tab, install a motor and position the hook where you want it, then glue the sleeve to the MMT. The hook is now supported by the external tube sleeve instead of the MMT wall. You can use standard hooks with any motor length by doing it this way.

Reply to
Gary

I use a similar method, but I use the thick 50/55 centering ring with a slot cut in for the end of the hook to pass through. It also functions as part of the motor mount for a BT-55 based rocket. This is stronger and holds up to the strong ejection charges in small rockets.

John

Reply to
John Stein

Thanks Gary. That's the best tip I've come across in quite some time; a very simple, yet effective idea. How come it did not occur to me? :)

I'm building a couple of rockets that I needed a hook for an Estes E. Now I know what to do. DR

Reply to
Darian Rachal