Final Rocket Challenge Comment & Survey

...I bet, if each launch had been given a "5 count", instead of a
"10 count", the whole show would have gone a lot faster. ;O/
Which brings me to wonder... maybe this is a regional thing,
like "coke" vs. "soda" vs. "pop".
What's the typical countdown given at launches in your home state?
- 10 count
- 5 count
- Sometimes either
- Other ______
Reply to
BB
I was at LDRS and I seem to recall the 10 count only being used for the big launches and for contest launches. Guess what Discovery Channel showed?
Brian Elfert
Reply to
Brian Elfert
...interesting - maybe the producers liked the ten-count, and decided to edit this into each launch, regardless of what was actually spoken?
I'll have to replay the countdowns and check to see if they sound the same.
Reply to
BB
5
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
well, I've never simply heard
"FIRE IN THE WHOLE!" ;o)
5 second countdown is the norm in the launches I've attended
- iz
BB wrote:
Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed
Ummm.. anything I fly: 5 minute talk-up, National Anthem, O, Canada and slow 20 count.
Other HPR's: 5 count. Fast in general, or slow if someone refers to me as "Mr. President".
Mod rocs: 3 count (except Fred Taverni's Black Brants or anything Richard Hickok flies, which get 5 counts).
Fast 3 counts and a 4 rack layover "oops-I-missed-your-rocket-with-electronics-burning" to anyone who makes a George Costanza crack.
BB wrote:
Reply to
Gene Costanza
Sibling rivalry. - I didn't realize you two were related.
8-)
Phil Stein
Phil Stein
Reply to
Phil Stein
It's called "pop" no matter that brand of soft drink it is. :-)
I noticed the 10 count launches as well. 5 count is the norm.
-- Joe Michel NAR 82797 L1
Reply to
J.A. Michel
Was Dad there?
Reply to
Chuck Rudy
five if they count fast, if we can't get em to count fast, we tell to start at three.
note: we usualy have a go/no go list before countdown (video, tracking, aircraft, cameras, etc)
Reply to
tater schuld
Counts we have used at OkRA launches:
5-count 3-count 9,1,1 42,42,42
The rockets don't seem to know the difference.
sooner dot boomer at gbrobline dot com
Reply to
Dan Major
7, 5, 3, 2, 1
Estes Prime Number Explorer
Dan Major wrote:
Reply to
David Schultz
Ready on the left, ready on the right, ready on the firing line, fire.
Reply to
AlMax714
34 21 13 8 5 3 2 1 1 0 ...
The Fibonacci Series Explorer.
-John
Reply to
John DeMar
(6.0221367 x 10^23), (6.0221367 x 10^23)-1, (6.0221367 x 10^23)-2 ...
Avogadro's Number Explorer
David Erbas-White
Reply to
David Erbas-White
5,4, DOH!
The Homer Sequence
Reply to
Gary
Gary wrote in news:3FB33651.7070307@below:
(2^127)-1, (2^67)-1, (2^31)-1, (2^19)-1, (2^17)-1, (2^13)-1, (2^7)-1, (2^ 5)-1, (2^3)-1, (2^2)-1, 0
Counting down by the lowest 10 Mersenne Primes.
sooner dot boomer at gbronline dot com
Reply to
Dan Major
Someone should do a video of these various countdowns so I can put them on the website!
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5...
I prefer counting up. I'm an optimist.