Firing Sequential Ignitors with a Single Switch?

Hello...

Is there a way to wire a number of electric engine ignitors to a single switch so that each time you close the switch it activates the next ignitor in the chain, burning it up, and somehow making the next ignitor ready for electrical activation? This would allow, for example, 10 rockets to be fired in succession by pressing the button 10 times.

I DON'T want to push the button once and fire all 10 electric matches!

If there isn't a way to do this, I will continue with my plan to use a PIC microprocessor, but that means relays and/or transistors and more cost if I wanted to control more than 5 or 10 ignitors.

Thank you in advance!

--

--Ike

Reply to
Ike

See my respone in sci.electronics.basics. You really shouldn't multipost.

Reply to
Tom Biasi

Hi Tom...

I didn't think there would be many people who subscribe to both groups, so I posted a message in each group...but the messages were slightly different and not simply crossposted. I felt that posting the message in only one group would limit the range of possible replies.

You suggested a rotary switch, but I'm really looking for a way to chain a bunch of ignitors, perhaps 10, but maybe 50, so when you push the button, the first ignitor fires and sets up the second one for firing. I'm thinking something like a current or voltage divider that gets changed when each ignitor breaks, and in turn makes the next ignitor the one that the current will flow through the most on the next button press.

Thanks.

Reply to
Ike

What type of application are you planning to use this type ignition system in?

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

If you want to launch multiples in quick succession, use a nail board (used to ignite fireworks in sequence).

If you're not trying to launch them in quick succession, then what's the point? A manual switch gives you control over which rocket goes next. An automatic "next in sequence" switch won't give you any flexibility if one misfires, or if a launch rod tips over at the last minute, or any number of other contingencies.

Reply to
Vince

You also posted to rec.pyrotechnics. You didn't crosspost, that would have let all groups see the same message. You posted the same message to several groups and each group had to treat it separately. Thgis is in your best interest either. I'm not ragging, just informing. Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

You really don't need to be quite as sophisticated as to use a PIC. A simple decade counter like this

with some power transistors rated for your current would be more than enough.

If you want an electromechanical solution the P&B MDR series of relays will work, although grab onto your wallet/

On the other hand if you want to go really archaic

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Al Gloer

If you go with a decade (or whatever) counter using the switch to clock the counter to the next position, make sure your switch is debounced. Otherwise it will quickly jump over several positions, firing not the "next" rocket but one down the line.

Reply to
bit eimer