Glue

I didn't know I raise such a stir on glue :) Well I've been reading quite a bit and have a link or two to pass along, although I'm sure most of you have been there already.

One link says to replace the standard Estes shock cord with elastic such as you'd buy at any craft shop i.e. like underpants stuff and 2X as long, as well as adding a swivel (fishing type I imagine).

Another says to powder your chutes before you stuff 'em before launch.

And what's this about rip stop nylon and mylar chutes?

This is sure to stir some folks up! :)

Oh yeah...almost forgot...here's a link:

Zman

Not sure what you mean exactly...but our "Rocket building tips" thread recently...discussed glues quite a bit. A lot of good ideas were exchanged.

Practical advice, as the standard kit shock cord is usually way too short, and the Estes "rubber band" cords will obviously not last as long as elastic.

Mylar is a great material, as it has "memory", and actively tries to restore itself to its unfolded state. For both mylar, and nylon chutes, see:

Greg Heilers

Went to both of those links Greg, thanks!

What do you use and why do you like 'em?

Reply to
Zman

I really like the mylar. I imagine if I ever step up to the high-powered "He-Men's rockets" (*wink*), I will go with the nylon. But for the small rockets, I like the afore-mentioned mylar, for its "memory", and its reflectivity. And cheap, as well...whether you buy sheets, or buy cheap mylar balloons for the material.

Reply to
Greg Heilers

The balloon material is kind of stiff for model rocket chutes. Stores that cary party supplies like balloons usually also have the 18x30" mylar sheets that are perfect for MR/LMR chutes. You can get an 18" and a 12" out of one sheet, or 2 15" chutes. It's my preffered material for this size rocket, except for competition where I use the thinner stuff. I've even made a 30" chute by taping 2 pieces together, but at that point you're better off with the original Space Rescue Blankets, which are 57x80" sheets of the same stuff.

Bob Kaplow