Mylar chute Q

What is the preferred way of attaching the lines to a mylar chute?

Reply to
Daniel Kirk

What works for me is the peel & stick hole reinforcements. I position them one on each side of the material & then use a hole punch to make the opening. It is tricky to do, but rather than use the standard overhand oe square knot. I tie a knot called a bowline, If forms a loop that does not slide so the material is not pinched.

Reply to
Al Gloer

With mylar tape, of course! :-)

Check out the Aluminized Polyester Tape that ASP sells:

's 1 mil thick (wish it was thinner, oh well) and has excellent adhesive. I use a 1/4" x 1/2" strip to tape down the line to the corner of the 'chute, then fold the tag end of the line back over the corner and tape it down with another piece. Or you can tie a knot in the end of the line and tape the line to the 'chute so the knot is trapped by the tape. Either method will help keep the line from being pulled free from the tape.

Reply to
Steve Humphrey

I use packaging tape disks (okay, squares) on both sides and melt, not poke, a hole through all three layers with a hot paperclip, then attach shroud lines with a non-slip loop knot. Melting the holes seems to have eliminated "pull throughs" for me.

Reply to
Gary

Either adhesive mylar or the yellow "Apogee" tape now sold by Ring Rocketry. See

Bob Kaplow

I usually use chrome (to match the color of the mylar) Trim Monokote. Tie a knot in the shroud line and apply the Monokote over the knot, leaving a little bit of line showing on the inside of the 'chute. Wick a little thin CA onto the exposed shroud line.

Regards,

Bob Bernatchez

NAR 29996

Reply to
Bob Bernatchez

Reply to
Richard Hubbard

OK, I know you're joking, but for those who don't, this is NOT a good idea. You want tape that is very thin and very flexible, and doesn't oose a sticky residue, and doesn't give up after a year or two. Both masking tape and Scotch tape are poor choices.

As I said, I recommend either adhesive mylar, or the yellow "Apogee" tape for MR chutes. For heavier stuff, when I need tape, I use the rip stop nylon tape that kite companies like Into the Wind sell for making repairs.

Bob Kaplow

Reply to
Richard Hubbard