GPS telemetry using APRS

I put together a telemetry package so I can know where my rocket lands. The link is: http://www.geocities.com/rdh82000/APRS/index.htm
I assembled this to go in a minimum dia rocket I will be flying later in the year. I am looking at close to 30,000' so I figured I needed something to help find it. Here is a link to the rocket: http://www.geocities.com/rdh82000/NmotorRocket/Construction.htm
Robert DeHate
Cool! Greg at http://www.bigredbee.com/BeeLine.htm reports that he is sending APRS packets with his micro tracking transmitter. You might be able to substitute his BeeLine for the Alinco and save some mass/volume.     73,     Will
Robert DeHate wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L2
I have my own tracking transmitter that outputs 50mW. I have used it for telemetry. No need for APRS there since I just stream the data from the GPS, or any serial source like my altimeter. Then to stay legal it spits out my call sign in morse code every 10mins.
Robert DeHate wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L2
I can never remember the conversion. Whats that in watts??
Robert DeHate wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L2
I need a good 6 to 7 miles of data. He is getting data TX from 5 miles?? Or just picking up a signal??
Robert DeHate wrote:

--
Will Marchant, NAR 13356, Tripoli 10125 L2

I think just picking up signal

from what I saw it was

ground to ground is different than air to ground. ISS only uses a 35w tx with (i think) a real short yagi (or maybe just dipole)

fly it from a kite and see what you get. I think the rule of thumb was for every 6 feet add 3db gain to your estimated output

--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)
Robert DeHate wrote:

-20 dBm = 10 uW +12 dBm = 15.85 mW
Did you consider the Pocket Tracker from Byonics? That is the system I am going with.
Perhaps you will need the rf power output of the Alinco...
John N2AFU
I looked at it. It is too big to fit in the 4in NC.
RDH8