telemetry via FRS tranceivers

I haven't followed this group in a while and have been getting the itch to start dabbling in the hobby after being away from it for a
long time.. I am wanting to obtain air data from a radio control airplane (airspeed, altitude, angle of attack etc.) I thought up a possible way to transmit the data and was wondering if anyone has ever tried it or if it is feasible. The thought I had was to obtain a pair of those walkie talkies with the 2 mile range (since they can be bought around $20) and hook one up to a micro controller for transmitting the data and the other to receive the data and send it to a port on a laptop. Has anyone ever tried anything like this? Dave
See the picolario on http://www.renschler.de/english.htm
Dave

I suspect the payload may be a little too weighty, but...
http://vpizza.org/~jmeehan/balloon /
Well documented, and entertaining too :-)
Peter Seed
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com says...

Technically, it is possible to send low-speed data theough voice radio. However, if you check the FCC regs, the FRS service specifically disallows any kind of digital communication.
So, technical issues aside, it's illegal.
--
Mark
Mark@_Bite-Me-Spammer_HVWTech.com (remove the obvious to reply)