Via Duct Kit

I am assembling a Mirco Engineering Via Duct Set and was wondering if anyone knew of a place I could look at some picture of how the Via Duct attaches to the land. I.E the transition from the earth to the via duct. Most bridges have a stone foundation then the tracks on the bridge are held up with girders and such...what is the common for Via Ducts?

Thankyou Richard

Reply to
Richard Small

The viaduct is just a series of plate girder spans, so the abutments would basically be the same as any plate girder bridge, probably the same material as the footings for the towers. Some bigger viaducts did have arched or solid concrete approaches, or fill, coming out to a high abutment.

Chris Johns>

Reply to
Chris Johnson

"Via Duct Kit"?

Is this something Red Green markets?

Sorry, couldn't resist.

-- Cheers Roger T.

Roger T.

LoL - Red Green.....The photos and the information are helpfull...thanks gang !

Richard

Reply to
Richard Small

Why a duck? Why no a chicken?

Chico Marx

Reply to
DaveW

Dave W wrote: Why a duck? Why no a chicken? Chico Marx

------------------------------------------------- Thanks for the memories, Dave!

History of N Scale:
Links to over 500 helpful sites:

Bill

Good kit that. I assembled and installed a long Micro Engineering viaduct down at the club. Must have been 18 sections. The uprights (plastic box girders) rested upon concrete footings (bits of wood painted concrete color). The ends of the viaduct rested upon masonry abutments just like one might use for any sort of bridge. The cast "feet" supplied by Micro Engineering look very good resting upon the masonry and holding up the steel trestles. Our masonry abutments are

3/4" plywood for strength, given a veneer of thin styrene painted concrete color. Track is Micro engineering flex track with bridge ties, a thicker than ordinary tie to carry the weight of trains. We attached the track to the viaduct with a caulking compound, comes in a caulking gun tube and I cannot for the life of me remember the brand name right now. It bonds to the slippery plastic of the ties and the styrene of the viaduct and hardens rapidly. I clamped the track while the stuff dried by simply weighting the track down with a bunch of heavy computer books. I painted the entire viaduct with auto store spray cans of dark gray primer and red primer. The original was painted black and after time the rust comes up through the black paint. The dark gray primer looks black under layout lighting. Dabs and blobs of the red primer do for the rust spots.

David Starr

Richard Small wrote:

Reply to
David J. Starr

A stone or concrete abutment would be proper, just as used with other types of bridges. Given the era of the Micro Engineering viaducts (the lattice girders places them as built approximately around World War I), a stone abutment would probably look more plausible.

Reply to
Mark Mathu