Hybrids in the UK

Hello,

I am new to this hobby but been watching from afar and I am really into hybrids. I live in the UK and have been told to watch KLOB, so I will be there especially as they seem to be having an hybrid challenge.

Anyway, what do you all think is the best hybrid to start out with. I know that in the UK I need to pass an exam before flying hybrids, but I want to get everyone's idea on which is the best one to start with so I can order one and fondle it before the exam (which I hope to take before Christmas)

Thanks

Reply to
Have A Laugh With Rocketry

Any of the monotube hybrids are pretty straightforward. RATT, SkyRipper, & Contrail all make great products. I certified L1 with a Skyripper 38mm, and L2 with a Contrail. There are (or were) some issues related to ignition for folks in the UK which you'll want to check into.

Kevin OClassen

Reply to
Kevin OClassen

Your best bet may be going to KLOB and checking out what is being flown. Speak with the people who are flying different motors, and see what they say. There is set to be a Large Number of Hybrids at KLOB. I think they are trying for 8 Contrail M Flights... Should be something to see :)

Tom

Reply to
Contrail Rockets

Call Damian Hall and ask him... he knows hybrids well. Google Uncle Bob's Rocket Shop.

mjd

Perhaps they'll see a Trojan flown there!

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

Reply to
Contrail Rockets

iianw, hybrids don't have to be certed to be flown under UKRA experimental rules -

And the people who do the experimental rulings are very likely to be there at KLOB :) - although they might well appreciate some advance notice if you want to fly, and may refuse you permission if you don't give them that.

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

Why would they need to be certed for K-Lob?

Reply to
Darren J Longhorn

I'd like to add that in my experience they are rocketeers, and they want to see them fly - within the proviso that that they are very unlikely to do any damage to anyone else.

Or damage to the rocketeer :)

two-fingered- (oh, yes)

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother

I forgot that in the UK motors could be flown under experimental rules.

I am familar with a good number of flyers in the UK, but I doubt that any Trojans will be flown at the launch.

It would not be me fly> C>

Reply to
Contrail Rockets

Try here!!

Watch the text wrap, they are being discussed in length by a number of folks.......seldom does trf have anything worth looking at but this is one........interesting stuff and a real eye opener. Some laughs here and there too!

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Another thing I was thinking on my way out the door was that you should try the UK.Tech.Rocketry Forum here.

Very similar to Rec.Models.Rockets but used exclusivly for UK Rocketry Stuff. The guys over there have a lot of hybrid flights under their belt. Tom

Have A Laugh With Rocketry wrote:

Contrail Rockets

Then perhaps they'll need one.

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

There's a lot of stuff flying there, but I don't think it's a Trojan. ;-)

Reply to
Darrell D. Mobley

But a trojan could be used on one of the latter rockets which was being sized. :-)

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Would need 30 days advance notice to S&T thats all

Damian

Reply to
Damian Burrin

I have posted a couple of question there a few weeks ago, however I felt for hybrids I would look at the states as this is were all the manufacturers all, also along with prices so you can see how deep your pockets might have to be.

I have googled for Damian Hall and found his shop but no details of goods or prices on his site, I think I will have to email him for a price list.

Reply to
Have A Laugh With Rocketry

Hi Kevin,

For me it will be L1 stuff as I am not certified, so will be looking for GHI hybrids.

Thanks

Reply to
Have A Laugh With Rocketry

Got your E-mail this morning. Looking forward to the phone call.

As an aside.

A great resource for hybrid specific questions is:

snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

You can find some of us from the Uk loitering there too..

;)

Damian Hall