Kit Manufacturer Opinions

Who makes a better kit. LOC Precision or Aerotech? \(35 days left to shop)

Todd wrote:

Hello Todd,
Aerotech is great for the beginner. Their kits are more, 'Almost-Ready-To-Fly (ARF)' and require less time building and finishing.
LOC kits require more time to build and finish. Also with LOC kits, more investment has to be made in electronic recovery devices and motor costs (most LOC kits).
Both manufacture TOP quality kits, but they are marketed toward different parts of rocketry, i.e Mid-Power (Aerotech) and High-Power (LOC).
Depends on all what you consider better? Aerotech has it's points as does Loc. I have built both and have likes and dislikes for both. I have also built Cluster R, PML, Public Enemy, Vaughn rockets and all have their respective ups and downs but that is what is interesting many ways to come to the same conclusion. Inovation, resourcefulness and even sometimes what the f%&$ were they thinking? I have modified most of the kits I have in one form or another from foaming in the nose ballast on my Loc V2, to omitting the piston on my PML AMRAAM 3, to just replaceing the bungie cord for tubular nylon on my Cluster R Standard ARM. Each rocket kit needs to be looked at by itself for what you want to do. In the latest issue of "Sport Rocketry" there is a review on the Polecat Aerospace "Skeeter". The modifications the author made were the same I would have done (but maybe a different way). So again it all depends on what your looking for and what you want to do and mybe how inovative you want to become. Just my 2 ergs here.

Todd wrote:

You might also consider Binder Design.
http://binderdesign.com
My apologies but I do not as yet have one of those. But working on it. he he he.

Depends on what you want. AT kits go together fast with the snap lock fins. But I'm not a big fan of plastic fins. They also include a baffle, although I'm not a fan of the mesh stuff. And they are more widely available. Their range and variety of kits is limited.
IMHO, the Aerotech Mantis pad isn't worth the plastic it's molded out of :-(
LOC kits are all wood fins. A bit more work to seal and finish, but more durable and easier to repair if necessary. There is a wider range of LOC kits, well into the Level 2 and maybe even L3 range.
Both are good companies. If I were going to recommend a starter kit, I'd pick a LOC Graduator over an AT Initiator.
YMMV.

# 3 - PML
As others have already said, it depends on what you are looking for. Are you just getting into mid-power or are you interested in high power? I have built kits from both companies and like anything else they have their +'s and -'s. If you are just getting into mid-power kits I would suggest the AT Initiator. I think that kit is to mid-power what the Estes Alpha is to model rocketry -- everyone should have at least one.
Again, both make some nice kits and don't forget all the other vendors out there either.
As the others have written, both have good points and bad points. And there are other fine kits out there, like PML and Binder. Could you be more specific in what you are looking for?
(If you are buying a present for me, I'd love a Binder Velociraptor)
I've got an AT Mustang that is complete, in the box and unbuilt. Make me an offer and I'll toss in a built LOC Lil Nuke just for comparison.
--
R. J. Talley
Teacher/James Madison Fellow
Reece Talley wrote:

Interesting proposition.. Where are you located?
\\Todd
Santa Clarita CA (between LA and Palmdale) 91350