Maybe a dumb question, maybe not.

Hello rocket fans.

I was wondering about the rockets in use today. I have one of those fancy sink faucets with a head that pulls out of the spout and can switch from spray to regular stream. I was playing with it and I always notice the spray has more force for cleaning off dishes etc.. (Yes I understand it is from the increased speed and the smaller jets of water) I tested this also by just hanging the head and turning on the water in both cases and the force coming from the spray moves the head further than the regular open flow.

What I am wondering, Do any rockets use a spray type nozzle for thrust? (meaning multiple smaller holes instead of one larger hole)

I am thinking it would increase thrust of the rocket? due to the increased flow rate. Has anyone tried such or are any rockets actually built like that today?

If not, is there anyone here crazy enough to try such? (being careful as usual of course.) :)

-- James M Driscoll Jr Spaceman :)

Reply to
Spaceman

For my level 2 attempt (first, non successfull) I used an Aerotech J-415W which had (IIRC) 5 smaller holes rather then 1 large hole.

I am not a motor designer, so I don't know where the line is as to where you would use that type or where you would use a "normal" setup.

-Aaron

BTW, my second attempt was successful. I lost a fin on landing for the first try.

Reply to
Aaron

Ok cool, (not the non successfull part but the smaller holes part) :) Thanks of the info.

I wonder if larger stuff would also work the same way? It seems that it should but it would be great to test. Maybe I can suck some money out of the government somehow to test such if it has not been overtested already. :)

Congrats! I guess the next question is if any rocket bodies have adapted the "golfball" dimples thoughts yet. It seems the small dimples may help in wind drag. (being tested on airplanes now and I am hearing about good results ) :)

Reply to
Spaceman

Some of the Aerotech motors use "medusa" nozzles.

The Tiny Tim (WWII air-to-ground missile, and booster for the WAC Corporal) had a lot of small nozzles with one combustion chamber:

Steve Humphrey

Cool picture, thanks :)

Reply to
Spaceman