I need help selecting componets for a water misting test fixture!

I need suggestions on specific hardware for a water misiting device I will be building to simulate lite rainfall on a flat 12"X12" concrete block. The distance from the concrete block to the spray head will need to be approx. 20". I need to simulate lite rainfall of 1"-5" per hour on the concrete brick. Can anyone suggest what pump, valves, pressure gauge, flow meters, spray heads, filters, and enclosure I need? I will also need suggestions on a stand, see through enclosure, and a water holding tank. I will using distilled water recycling it through a filter system then back through the spray head. Thanks for any help!

Reply to
maarons35

snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in news:1159206101.899866.36770 @m73g2000cwd.googlegroups.com:

I suspect you have reposted this because you didn't get any answers the first. While people here are often quite happy to do a quick calculation on the back of an envelope, you are asking for specific answers that will take some significant number of hours to produce. Further, to make those specifications will require some fair amount of back and forth to gather the detailed project information that you don't include in the above.

I may be biased by my southern California life, but 5"/hr does not strike me as light rainfall.

Reply to
Charly Coughran

This is not an onerous engineering project. But perhaps you are very fresh?

12 X 12 X 5 inches = 720 cu in/hr max 1 US gall = 231 cu in so the max demand is 3.2 gal/hr.

Use any pump you can find - a windshield washer pump might work short term - use a kitchen sink water filter and a shower head and a 10 gal aquarium.

Think you can hook it up?

Brian Whatcott Altus OK

Reply to
Brian Whatcott

Dear Brian Whatcott:

I'd be more concerned with terminal velocity of the water. I'm not convinced 22" of drop equates to raindrop speed. Not that I expect that to be a large factor.

Then "filtered and reused" seems a bit vague. It would have to at least be deionized before reuse, to have something close to the effects of rain. This will take a larger pump, and replenishing/swapping out the media beds...

And then since it is *acid* rain that is really the issue with brick...

David A. Smith

Reply to
N:dlzc D:aol T:com (dlzc)

Charly-

Thanks for your post...esp about the required "back & forth" to iterate towards a solution.

OP-

Your design project is what ME's do for a living

heads, filters, and enclosure I need? I will also need suggestions on a stand, see through enclosure, and a water holding tank. I will using distilled water recycling it through a filter system then back through the spray head.

Reply to
BobK207

"N:dlzc D:aol T:com \(dlzc\)" wrote in news:WX0Sg.533$v43.208@fed1read02:

Terminal velocity of a large raindrop is order 20mph. There is no information in the original post about what is being modeled, but I suspect impact energy would affect most things. Producing drops with the correct size, shape, and terminal velocity in the specified 20" is not a trivial problem. Then you have to worry about the effects of the distribution of the drop impact sites.

Reply to
Charly Coughran