Model Rocket outreach materials

I've rendered some cutaways of a C6-5 for outreach programs. I'm not entirely happy with these and will probably render them again early next year.

SkyPirate

These are great!

A question, though. You indicate no 'print' usage without permission. I'd like to provide printouts of these for the 'outreach' programs I do, which are both school kid audiences, and Civil Air Patrol cadets. This would include both 'simple' handouts for one-time presentations, and use in pamphlet form for weekend rocketry activities. May I have permission to use these for those explicit purposes? The CAP activity is a non-profit organization, but the 'school outreach' I just do on my own.

David Erbas-White

SkyPirate wrote:

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Quest is rumored to be thinking about the big poster set again (a la Centuri).

They may also have a 2004 catalog. If they do I and other SCRA folks will be handding them out at the Ontario CA AMA Convention 2004.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I emailed Quest for a catalog, and got a poster and other materials about 10 days ago

its a beautiful double-sided poster, but so many models that their pictures are rather small (for a poster)

the price list that accompanied it says "Effective 11/1/03"

it sent chills through me, as I relived what it was like to "dream" about getting my first rocket at about 10 years old. I was far too impoverished at the time to buy even one rocket, but continued to follow Quest, Estes (and HeathKit) for several years.

when I turned back to rocketry for my kids, I got to fulfill my dream in a big way!

here's our LPR inventory, which we are still building, of course - what a great father-kids activity, and one they are so proud of when they go to a launch with their "fortified" rockets (we add kevlar, nomex, swivels, chute replacements and reinforced fins where appropriate)

18 Estes models 18 Quest 1 Edmonds 3 Aardvark 4 ASP 3 Launch Pad 1 Lawn Dart 1 Phoenix 2 Pratt 3 RAS 4 Sunward 5 SYR 4 True Modeler and 2 Vaughn

- iz

Fred Shecter wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

So scan it in sections and post it.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I think he refers to "Print" as in a magazine or such.

I think they look great too. They even have the "Poopy-clay" nozzles detailed nicely. ;-)

-Chr$

Reply to
Chr$

Incorrect. They have the good clay detailed nicely. "Poopy-clay" is a uniform white color.

These renderings are extremely good.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

We got a bunch of the poster-catalogs in Las Vegas and hand them out at our SCRA launches in L.A. I gave a lot out to scout groups recently but I have a few left. If anyone shows up at a launch ask for one. Otherwise visit the Quest website and call or e-mail them a request.

This 2003 catalog-poster is not the 2004 catalog, but it is packed with info.

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

-- ""Remove "zorch" from address (2 places) to reply.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

I agree, but since it's worded that way, I'd like clarification...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Thanks for asking. You are definitely welcome to use them for those activities.

For non-profit print, if it is a fairly elaborate publication and you have the capacity to include copyright or credit information (©2003 Eric Vandergriff), I would request that.

It's an honor system where you can interpret 'fairly elaborate publication', 'capacity' and 'request'. A good guideline would be, if you give credits for photos, the same should apply for illustrations.

I want people saying, "These are great!", not, "This is a pain".

As an FYI, I've rendered the model rocket and reloadable motors originally at a 3 megapixel resolution (2560x1920) and have those available where that kind of resolution is genuinely needed.

Reply to
SkyPirate

Thanks again, and if used (I'm sure they will be), you will be credited.

FYI, when I said "pamphlet", it was more along the lines of printing some off on my Deskjet for handout/instruction sheets for kids just getting into rocketry...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

Eric certainly does great work, both in the renderings and the website itself

way to go, d0od!

:)

- iz

SkyPirate wrote:

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

There's an old saying that "no good deed goes unpunished" and I am requesting that people ask before printing with the intent to distribute as a precaution for things I might not have anticipated. For example, I might have made a mistake and re-rendered a set. Or for any number of reasons, a manufacturer might request we not distribute them. Maybe, they have a new design and don't want an obsolete product shown. Who knows?

One of the best examples was here in silly old Big D. Once upon a time, there was a local band, who had been around for years. Local fans had been with them since the beginning and that local fan support probably sustained them through some hard times. When the band finally hit the big time, their record company gave them a makeover to make them more "marketable". And then the problems started. Some loyal fans had web sites with old photos of the band as they had known them. Before long the band was suing the fans to take the "old image" pictures down because they undermining their current marketing efforts. Now, I don't think that's the best way to thank those long time fans, but silly stuff happens.

Pesonally, I worry about scope creep, that is, when a project expands beyond its original intentions. Let's say I render a motor and then the manufacturer contacts me wants some little nuance revised or they accuse me of doing a better job on another manufacture's images, then it becomes a revolving door of revisions, they start trying to art directing me, they may not like the angle, the lighting, the color or texture, and I end up working for free and well beyond what I'd ever intended. I want an "out", where I can say, "Look, we just won't include your product in the sets".

I'll have the next set ready in a week or two. Here's sneak peek.

Reply to
SkyPirate