Rocket Motor Noise

Does anybody know of a reliable source for sound levels of the various commercially available motors? We have been requested to keep the volume down at our launches. Some of the EJ and a few of the F's really kick up a racket as they fly. So we are trying to figure out which motors we can get away with.

Reply to
Al Gloer

Keep the noise down? How stupid is that? Who told you this? Where do you fly?

The noise is a pretty hefty part of the fun and experience. Also, I can't imagine any model motor loud enough to actually bother anybody at with proper distances used.

Pax

Reply to
Paxton

Don't agree with it, it's just we have a whiny lawyer who owns a house next to but well outside the confines of a properly sized range. The request came from the conservation commission who grants us the privilege of flying in a town park. We are just trying to be good neighbors. One idea was to keep the really loud stuff until later in the afternoon.

Reply to
Al Gloer

Actually that is a fairly common complaint at active launch sites.

Unfortunately since even wimpy Estes motors produce enough noise to generate complaints, the solution is not motor selection, but interface with immediate neighbors.

Jerry

Voice of experience.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Get a sound meter & compare it to emergency vehicles' sirens, weed wackers, lawn mower & leaf blowers. That coupled with the fact that most motors only make nosie for a second or two shold help.

Reply to
Phil Stein

"Al Gloer" wrote in news:zSArc.41035$Md.17560@lakeread05:

See if you can borrow a sound level meter. Take it to a launch, get as close to the whiner's property as you can without entering it, and take some sound level readings during a launch. The best approach I've seen is to then express the results (especially to people who won't understand the significance of the numbers) as comparisons to noise they're likely to be familiar with, as in, "The loudest rocket launch we measured was XX Db, which is about the same as a passenger car driving past your house, or about 1/2 as loud as a bird chirping outside an open window."

Reply to
David W.

Anytime I do something loud, I fire up the leafblower and let it run. If they're going to complain, it will be about that noise, and it's not one the cops will do anything about.

Joel. phx

Does the lawyer have a barking dog?

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Selective enforcement proven once again!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It's not selective enforcement by the cops. There are sound ordinances that are effective for certain times of the day. There's nothing that can be done about running a leaf blower till they run it past a certain hour. It differs from city to city. The launch site is a different story because they have a land owner to keep happy and in tune with the surrounding neighbors.

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

Be careful Chad, you will confuse Jerry with facts of reality.(:-)

Fred

Reply to
W. E.Fred Wallace

Here's a radical idea. Hand out fliers to the neighbors inviting them to watch with free ice-cream for the kids. Ask at the grocery if they have any sort of donation programs. Couple of clipboards with "we support this activity" for neighbor signatures. "These neighbors are fine with the activity, but we will limit the motors to 'x' to keep the one neighbor happy".

Set up a soccer game of 5 year olds on a Saturday morning. He'll be begging for you to come back.

Joel. phx

Reply to
Joel Corwith

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

someone grips about the bit of sound from a model rocket engine? How about the sound levels of a football / baseball game? or RC Airplanes?

Reply to
Starlord

DING-DING-DING

Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. We have a winner in the let's find a way to turn our disadvantage into a positive without having to do anything illegal, immoral, although fattening is up for grabs because tofu hotdogs are just plain wrong. . Gee Joel, that is a great idea!

Reply to
Al Gloer

Yep, especially the free ice cream for the kids: legal, moral, _and_ fattening!

-dave w

Al Gloer wrote:

Reply to
David Weinshenker

You are actively harassing me now.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
Chad L. Ellis

Would you like some whine with that 40K cheese?? BTW, your always talking about serving certain folks if they would just ID themselves; You know who I am and you have my address; make a stand, 40 grand to the man; lost on appeal -- hey, what the deal??

Fred

Reply to
W. E.Fred Wallace

Is it possible to inactively harass someone? 8-)

Reply to
Phil Stein