Rocket Motor Noise

Does anybody know of a reliable source for sound levels of the various
commercially available motors? We have been requested to keep the volume
down at our launches. Some of the EJ and a few of the F's really kick up a
racket as they fly. So we are trying to figure out which motors we can get
away with.
Reply to
Al Gloer
Keep the noise down? How stupid is that? Who told you this? Where do you fly?
The noise is a pretty hefty part of the fun and experience. Also, I can't imagine any model motor loud enough to actually bother anybody at with proper distances used.
Pax
Reply to
Paxton
Don't agree with it, it's just we have a whiny lawyer who owns a house next to but well outside the confines of a properly sized range. The request came from the conservation commission who grants us the privilege of flying in a town park. We are just trying to be good neighbors. One idea was to keep the really loud stuff until later in the afternoon.
Reply to
Al Gloer
Actually that is a fairly common complaint at active launch sites.
Unfortunately since even wimpy Estes motors produce enough noise to generate complaints, the solution is not motor selection, but interface with immediate neighbors.
Jerry
Voice of experience.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
This should be in the FAQ.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Get a sound meter & compare it to emergency vehicles' sirens, weed wackers, lawn mower & leaf blowers. That coupled with the fact that most motors only make nosie for a second or two shold help.
Reply to
Phil Stein
"Al Gloer" wrote in news:zSArc.41035$Md.17560@lakeread05:
See if you can borrow a sound level meter. Take it to a launch, get as close to the whiner's property as you can without entering it, and take some sound level readings during a launch. The best approach I've seen is to then express the results (especially to people who won't understand the significance of the numbers) as comparisons to noise they're likely to be familiar with, as in, "The loudest rocket launch we measured was XX Db, which is about the same as a passenger car driving past your house, or about 1/2 as loud as a bird chirping outside an open window."
Reply to
David W.
Anytime I do something loud, I fire up the leafblower and let it run. If they're going to complain, it will be about that noise, and it's not one the cops will do anything about.
Joel. phx
Does the lawyer have a barking dog?
Reply to
Joel Corwith
Selective enforcement proven once again!
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
It's not selective enforcement by the cops. There are sound ordinances that are effective for certain times of the day. There's nothing that can be done about running a leaf blower till they run it past a certain hour. It differs from city to city. The launch site is a different story because they have a land owner to keep happy and in tune with the surrounding neighbors.
Reply to
Chad L. Ellis
Be careful Chad, you will confuse Jerry with facts of reality.(:-)
Fred
Reply to
W. E.Fred Wallace
Here's a radical idea. Hand out fliers to the neighbors inviting them to watch with free ice-cream for the kids. Ask at the grocery if they have any sort of donation programs. Couple of clipboards with "we support this activity" for neighbor signatures. "These neighbors are fine with the activity, but we will limit the motors to 'x' to keep the one neighbor happy".
Set up a soccer game of 5 year olds on a Saturday morning. He'll be begging for you to come back.
Joel. phx
Reply to
Joel Corwith
I'm sure next he inform me how the police system works and he invented it.
Reply to
Chad L. Ellis
someone grips about the bit of sound from a model rocket engine? How about the sound levels of a football / baseball game? or RC Airplanes?
Reply to
Starlord
DING-DING-DING
Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls. We have a winner in the let's find a way to turn our disadvantage into a positive without having to do anything illegal, immoral, although fattening is up for grabs because tofu hotdogs are just plain wrong. . Gee Joel, that is a great idea!
Al Gloer
Yep, especially the free ice cream for the kids: legal, moral, _and_ fattening!
-dave w
Al Gloer wrote:
Reply to
David Weinshenker
You are actively harassing me now.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine
Who? Hope it's not me.
Reply to
Chad L. Ellis
Would you like some whine with that 40K cheese?? BTW, your always talking about serving certain folks if they would just ID themselves; You know who I am and you have my address; make a stand, 40 grand to the man; lost on appeal -- hey, what the deal??
Fred
Reply to
W. E.Fred Wallace