Noise pollution /reduction

Hi, maybe some on this group can help. We have now gotten many noise complaints at our field. The Town threatens to shut us down. We do not fly any really big aircraft. Many .40 size, a good amount of .60 size and a couple of .90 size. All are mufflered. Some in our club want to make .40 the limit. What does this group suggest??

Reply to
Mr. Mojo

  1. Start looking for a new field further away from homes. :o(
  2. Find out which neighbors are complaining and try to reorganize the flight path away from that area.
  3. Research the noise codes and see if you can prove that you are in compliance.
  4. Do noise tests on the ground and keep planes from flying that flunk the test (contact AMA for guidelines on what works).
  5. Some clubs have gone all four-stroke because even though the decibel readings may be identical, the perceived noisiness generally is much lower.
  6. Pray that the unhappy neighbors move away.

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

On Thu, 14 Apr 2005 19:07:57 -0400, "Mr. Mojo" wrote:

Not speaking for the group, but just MHO. I would suggest as the first step that you find out what the town has on the books (in ordinances) regarding community standards re limits on sound emissions. If there are are objective limits specified, it's relatively easy to get noise complaints dismissed as being without merit. By objective I mean limits are specified in physical, measurable terms as to allowed level, usually expressed as XX dBA, often with modifiers such as a reduction of X dBA during evening hours and Y dBA during nightime hours, and frequently with different levels allowed depending on the zoning. If so, higher levels are often allowed in commercial and industrial zones than in low-density residential zones where quiet is considered an important factor in environmental quality. If there are no limits in the ordinances, or subjective criteria such as prohibitions against "loud and unusual noises" or some such are specified, the issue is harder to deal with. Then you'll have to try convince whomever stands in judgement that the complaint is without merit, while having to rely on statistics showing what people in general, but not people in your specif locale, are willing to tolerate and that complainant is supersensitve compared to the norm. These data are available and are the basis for recommended noise abatement ordinances by agencies charged with measures of environmental quality, including HUD and ANSI, and ISO at the international level. The sound level limit most often cited as the fuzzy threshold between acceptable and unacceptable for most people most of the time is 55 dBA, time averaged over a period of one hour. This is at the receptor's location of course, so you need subtract the loss in the transmission path from what you measure at the source to arrive at the level heard by your complainants. It's an easy calculation, but before getting into that, complete step one and come back with the gist of what the town ordinaces say about it, else I and anyone else that attempts to help you deal with the situation will just be wasting keystrokes.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger

My club has just been forced to go all electric.....

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

The thought of being forced to fly only electric really makes my blood run cold.

You have two choices.

1/ give up hobby

2/ Emigrate immediately to Australia and live in a country town with hectares of open land with no neighbours nearby.

Bob Tomlinson

Aussie RC Enthusiast and Rugby Fanatic.

Thank heavens the USA hasn't discovered and packaged Rugby.

Reply to
adder

In news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com, adder pecked:

Emigration to Australia would be delightful, but generally hopeless for the average US citizen, especially a retired couple with stable, life-long income streams.

Reply to
Dave Thompson

"Dave Thompson" wrote in news:8AH7e.7046$EX4.6314@fed1read01:

Move to New Mexico.

-- HPT

Reply to
High Plains Thumper

Go electric. And limit flying hours on IC planes.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As someone else suggested, see what your town specifies for noise levels, and set YOUR noise levels AT OR BELOW the town levels. If the town does not have noise levels, use the AMA guide lines for noise. Once you know the noise levels, get a DB meter AND USE IT. If ANY plane exceeds those noise limits, IT DOESN'T FLY - NO EXCEPTIONS. If you are at or below the town noise limits (or the AMA noise limits if there are no town limits), you will have a much better chance of getting noise complaints dismissed.

Another thing you may want to consider - If the complaints are coming from a particular direction, plant a row/screen of fast growing trees (Lombardy Poplar Hybrids grow about 18" - 24" a year ). This will help block the sound AND the view of the field. Often, if they can not see the planes, the problem goes away or is greatly reduced. Also, if the complaint(s) are from a particular direction, insure the pilots do not fly in that direction.

You can also try some community relations. Have an "open house" with a half dozen trainers on buddy boxes and some free eats available. Let the people try their hand at flying. The free eats usually will get the people there. Once they are there, the club members can "apply their charm" to help calm the people's concerns.

Just some ideas before having to do something radical (close the field, go electric only, etc. )

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

First, find out if the town has a noise ordinance and what dB rating they will allow. Then ask them to send out an inspector with a dB meter to measure the sound. Typically, noise ordinances require that the noise be measured at the property line of the person(s) complaining. If you are within the allowable dB's during the test, take your case to the City Council and clearly state your case that you are well within the noise limits (which you probably are) and that you not be harassed any more. Make a case that you are a wholesome activity that includes youth and that you would like to continue to operate. Be proactive in doing this but be VERY diplomatic!

Our club has been through this too. Those complaining are either just plain miserable people or jealous that you're having too much fun and they are not!

Reply to
Jim Slaughter

I'm in Georgia. There are still clubs within driving range that aren't restricted (YET!). I've lost two fields over the last few years. At this point, I'll be happy if things don't get any worse....

PCPhill (Who needs to win the lottery and buy a farm somewhere in the middle of nowhere)

--- Original Message ----- From: "MK" Newsgroups: rec.models.rc.air Sent: Thursday, April 14, 2005 10:51 PM Subject: Re: Noise pollution /reduction

Reply to
PCPhill

Start looking for another field. This is the death knell for your present field. BTDT. Good luck.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

What part of Georgia? I'm in the middle section and we fly in an industrial park. No problems yet..

Reply to
David Hopper

NE GA. As Atlanta continues to sprawl outwards, people keep fleeing to the (former) countryside. Sooner or later a developer will come along with an offer that can't be refused :(

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

I would also make noise comparisons (from the complaint point) of your planes and other things like lawn mowers and trimmers, etc. Then say if you want to curtail our flying because of noise, you must also curtail mowing grass, etc. It sometimes helps to put our airplane noise in a comparative context.

John VB

Mr. Mojo wrote:

Reply to
JJVB

"Ed Cregger" wrote in message news:sJ38e.1491$ snipped-for-privacy@fe04.lga...

Sadly Ed is correct.

Too often I've heard of race tracks, model flying fields, MX tracks and such being closed because STUPID, SELFISH MORONS without a lick of sense move out to the area where most of these facilities are and THEN instead of being a good neighbor and realizing that they weren't there first. Instead to go crying to "Someone in Authority" I can't stand these people...I find most are also the kind of person who expect everything to be given to them. I am so glad that I don't give in to my urge to follow an old tradition of mankind and burn down the houses of people like that.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

It can' be if you bury the body deep in the woods. About 12' down will work just about right.

Reply to
Keith Schiffner

Yeah, they should be all shot. Maybe you shouldn't take all that stuff so personally. Getting all worked up as you seem prone to do is not healthy. It's bad for the Blood Pressure.

Reply to
balleyhoo

Keith -

12 feet under is the preferred place for lawyers, 'cause deep down they're good people.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger