No blacks in the JPL mission control?

I didn't see a single black person in JPL mission control during the Spirit arrival. Maybe that woman in red?
Why do you suppose this is?????

Shovel Recovery wrote:

Because no one both qualified and of African descent applied?
Brett
You spoke too soon, here is a pic of Dr. Ashitey Trebi-Ollennu, a black engineer at JPL, working on images from Mars...
http://apnews.excite.com/article/20040105/D7VSM9D80.html

Is this known as trolling?
YWillshire wrote:

Hard to say. If so, it's not a very good troll, and it wasn't cross-posted.
Brett
On Sat, 03 Jan 2004 22:56:22 -0600, Shovel Recovery

Perhaps it's because race is an ill-defined concept and some of the people you were looking at were actually black and you didn't know it.
Heck, go back far enough and we're all of African origin!
I just got my test results today from Ancestry by DNA. It turns out I'm 87% Indo-European, 13% Sub-Saharan African. No detectable Asian or Native American ancestry.
I don't look like I'm 13% black. Heck, I wasn't permitted to join an African-American professional organization because I look (their words, not mine) "lily white."
So who knows? There might have been loads of black folks there.
If you were born in the United States, there's a good chance you're part black like me.
Zooty
PS: Why did I get the Ancestry by DNA test? Because technology is no good if you can't play with it! Besides, there's family rumors that we're descendants of Crispus Attucks. Might actually be some truth to the rumor!
zoot wrote:

Who is/are Crispus Attucks?
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:46:36 GMT, Dave Grayvis
The first man to die in the American Revolution...
http://cghs.dade.k12.fl.us/african-american/precivil/boston.htm
Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet
http://roci.indyrockets.org "X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

So as far as he knew at the time this was the most futile gesture he had ever even heard of.
Makes sense his ancestor would challenge TRA.
If the results are even remotely similar we may just have something here!
Jerry

Leave it to Irvine to change the subject from blacks at JPL to an anti-TRA thread.
No wonder 8 out of 10 rocketeers surveyed dislike this guy.
Craven Morehead wrote:

We do?
-dave w
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 12:51:43 -0800, David Weinshenker
You're one of maybe 10-15 who consistently agree with or support Jerry no matter what. You're not in the 8 out of 10.
When his name comes up at launches it's usually accompanied by several derogatory remarks. I do know I would never send any $$$ his way.
Craven Morehead wrote:

Actually, at pretty much all of the launches I've been to, most of the "politics" and "history" that's discussed here on the net just doesn't come up...
-dave w
What am I? - Besides Craven Morehead.
Phil Stein
On Sun, 04 Jan 2004 14:59:42 -0600, Craven Morehead

Phil Stein

1. Why? 2. What have I done. I mean specifically time and $.

1. So if you ordered a product from me you liked and were billed you would not pay as agreed?
Jerry
<< Leave it to Irvine to change the subject from blacks at JPL to an anti-TRA thread. >>
I wonder, has there ever been a thread here that didn't eventually get a Jerry anti-TRA comment??
RayDunakin wrote:

Maybe if we start a thread that's titled "Jerry and Tripoli: Threat or Menace", and let topic drift set in (as it usually does)...
-dave w

The potential for drift is emmence.
RayDunakin wrote:

why, does it matter?
- iz

Let's see. Is there Black discrimination at JPL in Pasadena, CA the center of whitiehood? No it is primarily demographics.
Is there a discrimination of women? Nope they all dress like men at JPL.
Is there a TRA conspiracy? Nope TRA is not even a mere pimple on the ass of JPL.
Jerry