On to Rocket # 3...

After some 'net research and browsing at my local money toilet, otherwise known as the hobby store...I have purchased rocket #3...

It is an Estes Stormcaster, 30" of C and D motor fun....

I have it 95% together now, and will be painting it in few hours....as long as all goes well with paint, it will take it's maiden voyage tomorrow...

We flew the Alpha III (FireJet II to my kids) several more times tonight and with virtually no wind, it was a lot more fun even. There were a couple of retrievals with "C" motors that were within 50ft of the lauch platform.

I am looking forward to seeing a much larger rocket lift off tomorrow...

As a side note...I got my first caution from the spousal unit about cost overruns in this hobby....hmmm...time to use the other Visa now....the one that she CAN'T see online.... Wait until she finds out that I have to special order in the next step in this newfound obsession....

Here's hoping for light winds tomorrow!

Randy.

Reply to
R & K Bilyea

I hope you have a Maxi launch rod that this rocket needs to have. Would hate for you to launch the thing and the launch goes haywire. :-)

Hmmm. Makes me wonder what this special order is... :-) Just don't piss of the spouse too much. No hobby is worth a rocky marriage. Now watch someone here shoot me over that one... :-)

Can't wait to hear what you think of D powered launches.

Reply to
daniel.bergquist

I was actually wondering about that....How crucial is it to use the 3/16" rather than the 1/8" I put the smaller launch lugs on and was just gonna launch with that with my existing launch rod. Am I asking for trouble here? Is it just the weight of the rocket pulling the launch rod over prior to launch that I am worried about? Or is there something else that I am missing here?

R.

Reply to
R & K Bilyea

You might want to make it 1 light coat if you're going to fly it tomorrow, otherwise when you use a firm grip to install a motor or any type of handling pressure, you'll leave finger prints in the paint, or worse.

Many times the paint may be dry to the touch but far from hard.

Randy

<randyolb

Very.

Yes.

Weight is a factor, along with higher thrust, will easily bend a 1/8th rod causing it to whip. You can pick up a 3/16ths rod for less than $2.00 at any Ace, Lowe's, etc. and get one that's 4'.

Randy

<randyolb

It looks like it will be a Sunday flight now at this point...I will remove the 1/8" lugs and glue the 3/16" lugs in place...and go back to the hobby store and properly chastise the owner for not recommending the correct rod...:)

As much as I want to get this puppy in the air....I'd like to do it more than once.

This will allow all of the glue joints to properly cure anyway...

Thanks for the advice...

R.

Reply to
R & K Bilyea

He probably didn't know.

If the glue is not completely dried / cured, it may still be venting fumes and that can cause crazing in the paint. If you're using Elmer's or something of that type, 24-36 hours is usually long enough before painting.

Good luck!

Randy

<randyolb

Wait 'till you start fooling around with mid-power and high-power! That's when the costs start to go up!! :-o

Reply to
J.A. Michel

Yep, you're getting the bug already. Our club's official cheer when someone successfully ups their certification is "Mo' Money! Mo' Money!!" :-)

At the present rate it shouldn't be too long before you're going to be looking at getting bigger toys that run on bigger motors. One good, fairly inexpensive, mid-power kit is the LOC Precision Graduator. With it's 29mm motor mount it'll give you a good range of motors and power from D to G. It's also a sturdy beastie that'll handle mishaps that would destroy Estes's stuff. Word of caution if you go with it,or similar. Don't use the lower end recommended motors until you gain some more experience, that low of a flight needs everything to go perfectly. And DON'T try to use an Estes E9 in it! That was my 2nd sacrifice to the learning curve, even though the computer sims said I could get away with it. The first sacrifice, btw, dealt with the shock cords that come with the kits. You want to get longer ones asap.

Chuck

R & K Bilyea wrote:

overruns in this hobby....hmmm...time to use the other Visa now....the one that she CAN'T see online....

newfound obsession....

Reply to
Zathras of the Great Machine

Speaking of LOC kits and Estes motors, i've had a Weasel for a month or two now, but don't fly it very often (in fact its only made one E30 flight), the kit says it will fly on D12s, and those would be a cheaper option for windy days (the E30 hits 1000 ft.). So far I havn't been brave enough to try it, as its a bit on the heavy side for D motors.

Has anyone flown LOC Weasel on a D12? Is it stable? Does it even fly long enough for a D12-3 to deploy at apogee?

Reply to
John Bowles

Hail to the spouse full of grace. I bow before your tolerance and compassion. BEWARE!

Reply to
nitram578

I've flown both my graduators on D12s, but wouldn't recommend it. It works MUCH better on the D13, D15, or D24 reloads. I've even got a special motor adapter for 18mm to 29mm just for flying the Graduator and similar rockets on D13/D24 motors.

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! Stop thinking of the E9 as an "E" motor, and instead think of it as a xNINE. Even some of the classic Estes kits that fly fine on D12s can't use the E9.

Bob Kaplow