lost rockets and a reflection on costs

I have misplaced a rocket.
well, no big deal, it was a clone of a maxi Alpha III. thing that bothers me is that I had my aerotech 24-40 casing in it.
then I got to thinking, "well, the casings $40. how much was the rest"
I think Ipaid $12 for the nose, a couple bucks for various tubes, maybe another couple of bucks for finstock, and $10 for a surplus flare chute.
Say $70 for everything.
WHAT!
Good thing I have a good idea where it is. last flight was at place X, did a talk about rocket at place Y, could not find rocket at launch Z.
left a call for place Y, should get a response monday.
but come to think of it, this is one of my crappier rockets. I wonder what my other rockets cost me (I really dont wanna find out, actually)
--
Tater
President of MARS Club (NAR #660)
tater schuld wrote:

Don't think of it in such terms. Like all genres of model building; the non-modelers "just don't understand". And they are also usually the type who will blow $100 for a ticket to a concert, or a night of alcohol-induced debauchery. Next time they question your spending $100 on a kit...tell them "Unlike your concert, and boozing up.....I will still *have* this rocket the day after I buy it!"
:o)
--

Greg Heilers
Registered Linux User #328317 - SlackWare 10.1 (2.6.10)
Greg Heilers wrote:

But not, necessarily, the day after you launch it... <G>
David Erbas-White

Memories.
Tell me about the last time YOU got very drunk.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Frankly, Jerry, that's got to be several decades ago. While I still hoist one or two on occasion, the need to get drunk went away about the time I stopped getting worried about getting carded.
David Erbas-White

Ditto.
We are boring!

Jerry Irvine wrote:

Can't remember <G>
Kurt Savegnago
Dementia means having to meet somebody new every day!

I mostly fly M motor rockets. $70 won't even cover the tank on the Hypertech M.
I had a M powered rocket not deploy the drogue last year so it crashed. Total loss was around $1000. $450 worth of fiberglass tubing, two $100 (or more) altimeters, $100 parachute, $250 Hypertech M motor.
I also had a rocket lose the fins at BALLS last year. It cost about $400 to rebuild that one.
Brian Elfert
writes:

I watched as a 70-90lb level 3 attempt nosed in from 5000 and then a way heavy Hyp-M with 2 air-start outboards fail to gain enough speed to arm either alt (failing to ignite the outboards). I really like the idea of a remote controlled backup with enough power to blow that chute out any which way it can.

Or motor ejection.
An F20-7 would have saved that flight.

My rocket already had dual altimeters with seperate charges. I'm not sure a wireless backup would have helped in my case.
Brian Elfert

Motor ejection clearly would have.

He said it was a hybrid.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2

Hypertech motors don't offer motor ejection. Neither do Aerotech 75mm or 98mm motors.
Brian Elfert

Simply putting a 29mm tube on one or both sides of your rocket and putting a SU motor in it and ejecting ANY parachute would reduce damage substantially when these other failures regularly occur.

No SU motor is going to have a long enough delay for an M flight. My regular parachute did deploy at 800 feet but immediately shredded as the reocket was going too fast due to lack of drogue.
I would not say this is a regular occurance.
My buddy decided to use motor ejection as backup on a J motor. Blowby ignited the ejection charge early and pretty much destroyed the rocket. This was an older reload before RMS+.
Brian Elfert

Use an Estes D12-0, add a stock RDK delay to the back, epoxy around the delay to retain it and use THAT as a backup delay.
Just Tech Jerry
writes:

sure
Since many in the group have certain people in their filter, it would be helpful if others would not reply to their comments.
The second M flight failure I witnessed would not have been saved by an AP motor nor a timer as it crashed before either would have been expected to perform. Pushing a button when the human determines it is needed is a true backup. It might not have saved the rocket in the second crash either, but maybe the tank or electronics would have been recovered.

Which they is that?

Wouldn't a baro system properly sense apogee, even at 800 feet?
Maybe the entire solution is to activate your electronics by a pull switch at liftoff rather than sensing something.
Jerry

I agree with you and wanted to add that some electronics allow you to use a break wire as a trigger. If that feature is available, it would be good to use it on the type of flights being discussed.