lost rockets and a reflection on costs

Has anyone here tried them? What do you think of it?

Jerry - You can send me an evaluation unit if you want.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Milo is the reporter for the Bloom County Beacon.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

Which remings me, wasn't the new Pope supposed to have taken the name "George Ringo"?

Bob Kaplow

That's one of the Signs of The Apocalypse, isn't it...? :-)

Reply to
Len Lekx

Yeah, at the time I hadn't thought about beepers. After that incident, I bought a few Pratt MicroBeacons... The place where I normally launch mid-high power doesn't have any high grass/crops. But I think I'll start using the beepers next time we go back to that farm.

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

I think that's the final resting place of my Starburst. We initially thought it had drifted PAST the field, but no luck.

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

"Was"? No longer available?

Eldred

Reply to
Eldred Pickett

Not in production. That could change, but unlikely you would hear about it since TRA/NAR centric circles refuse to publish news releases from USR.

Makes no sense.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

It was just a beeper available at Radio Shack years ago.

The thing that was "ultimate" about it was it's profit margin.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Then please be so kind as to post the catalog number so everybody can get it.

Do SOMETHING useful for a change.

I must have been totally confused by the consumer feedback.

Oops.

Jerry

"Bottom line is always remember- we graduate 9 times more lawyers in this country than we do engineers- sooner or later they'll need more courtrooms and there will be no one around to design and build them."

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Radio Shack hasn't stocked that particular beeper for over 15 years.

what "consumer feedback"?

What, no "consumer feedback" to show us?

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

They don't publish anyone elses's news releases - why would they publish USR's?

Also, if the Sonoroc Brrpers are no longer available, why did you suggest using them in a recent post? I'm probably not the only one that searched for them after your suggestion.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Radio Shack; Mini Personal Alarm, catalog # 49-428

CONVERSION DIRECTIONS:

  1. What's needed:

a. Radio Shack, Mini Personal Alarm, R>S catalog # 49-428 b. 3/16" drill bit and drill c. #1 cross point screw driver d. Lanyard material, (man rated parachute cord or kevlar cord) f. Hobby knife for cutting lanyard to desired length.

  1. Disassemble the unit by removing the two (2) screws, holding the unit together.

  1. There are two halves, once the unit disassembled. Depending on the material you decide to use for the additional lanyard, drill a hole in the unit half that does not contain the guts of the unit, (I use standard man rated parachute cord or 1/4" kevlar cord, both requires a hole size of only 3/16", to thread the cord through). If you drill the hole at the aft edge of the circle indent, it makes a neat place to store the retaining knot, (refer to next step).

  2. Once the hole is drilled, thread the lanyard cord through the hole you drilled and make a retainment knot on the inside part of the lanyard piece. You can safety the knot with a drop of fast CA glue, if desired. Tuck the finished retaining knot into the circle indent and reassemble the two halves of the unit together and install the unit in your rocket, as desired.

As a side note: This unit uses the same 12vdc cigarette lighter battery used in Adept altimeter units. I tested one of the alarm units and it was still going strong after 6 hours, (to keep the noise from bothering anyone I taped the hole and put the unit under a small bucket (:-).

I'll repost the instructions along with pictures to ABMR, as soon as I get the pictures down loaded.

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

So Jerry goes to the doctor.

Doctor - What seems to be the problem?

Jerry - My ears hurt whenever I have sex.

Doctor - Stop 'Dating' women that have Rat Shack Personal Alarms.

8-)
Reply to
Phil Stein

That's not a "U.S. Rockets Sonoroc "substitute" and misses some of the key features that make it optimal as a "cornfield retreiver", which was the original point, but it is "something".

Jerry Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

The pictures and directions are posted to ABMR

Fred

"W. E. Fred Wallace" wrote:

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

I made no such claims..

And what might those features be??

As normal for you, you must find something to bitch about, without providing fact, in support of... Im sure others may find the information useful.

Fred

Reply to
W. E. Fred Wallace

Thanks -

Just 'Tech Fred.'

Reply to
Phil Stein

Why don't you tell us what the ket features are?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Well, for starters, when you pay for it, you actually get one....

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski